Preschool (Quicketh)

"Beth, tell us who you brought to be our classroom helper today."

"Well, Mommy is busy at school so I brought Daddy." Beth answered with a smile. "Daddy can play the guitar."

"He can? Wow!"

"And he play piano and the bass guitar and the drums and the accordion!" Beth exclaimed proudly.

"Well, we don't have an accordion here, but we do have a guitar." Beth's teacher noted as she held out the guitar. "Mr. Puckerman, would you play something for us?"

"Sure." Puck nodded, taking the guitar. "You guys know Billionaire or Need You Now?"

"I do." Beth answered.

"I know you do, B. You have cool young parents." Puck noted as he started playing. "How about some Sweet Caroline?"

-

"So what'd you guys think of Mr. Puckerman's song?"

"So good! So good! So good!"

"You guys were great." Puck chuckled as he put the guitar down. "Maybe next time I'll start teaching you how to play so you can form your own band."

"I'm gonna be a rockstar just like you, Daddy." Beth declared.

Puck smiled proudly. "That's my girl."

"Alright, kids, time for snacks."

"I can help with that." Puck offered, and the teacher handed him the bag of cookies. He begin giving each student one.

"Daddy." Beth said, marching over to Puck. "Wyatt stole my cookie."

"So steal his." Puck suggested, still distracted with the other students. "Stand up for yourself, B. If someone does something to you, you do it back."

"Okay." Beth nodded as she walked away.

-

"Ow!"

Puck turned and saw one of the boys' hands on Beth. He hurried over as the teacher hurried over.

"What's going on?"

"Beth hit me." The boy said.

"Beth, did you hit Wyatt?"

"Yes, I did, but he hit me first." Beth told her teacher.

"Wyatt, go sit in that corner, and Beth, go sit over there."

"Hang on, Beth didn't do anything wrong." Puck said.

"We don't put our hands on anyone."

"We do when the other kids do it first." Puck stated. "My daughter is gonna learn to stand up for herself. She's a Puckerman."

"There will be no eye for an eye mentality in my classroom."

"Maybe Beth doesn't need your classroom." Puck decided. "Come on, B. Let's go have lunch with Mommy."

"Yeah!"

-

"Mommy!"

"Hi, B." Quinn smiled as she picked up the three-year-old.

"Hey, Q." Puck said, kissing Quinn's cheek. "How was class?"

"It was good." Quinn answered. "Until I got a phone call that my daughter was misbehaving and her father took her out early."

"They called you?" Puck asked.

Quinn nodded slowly as she put Beth down. "Do you wanna tell me what happened?"

"Some punk was bothering Beth all day so I told her that whatever he does to her, she can do it back." Puck explained.

"Noah." Quinn sighed.

"I'm just trying to teach Beth how to defend herself." Puck stated.

"Why? So she'll escalate to throwing kids in dumpsters?" Quinn questioned Puck.

Puck looked at Quinn.

"There's a difference between sticking up for yourself and hurting other people." Quinn stated. "I don't want our daughter turning into-"

"Turning into what?" Puck interrupted. "Me?"

"I was going to say a bully." Quinn responded. "I don't want her being mean like I was or hurting people like you did, okay?"

"She's a Puckerman." Puck stated.

"Noah." Quinn shook her head. "You need to fix this."

"What do you want me to do?" Puck questioned Quinn.

"Well, lucky for you, I apologized to Beth's teacher and she'll be going back tomorrow like nothing happened." Quinn explained. "But you need to talk to Beth and remind her that it's not okay to put our hands on anyone else."

-

"Beth, I wanna talk to you." Puck said softly as he sat down on Beth's bed.

Beth looked at Puck.

"Remember earlier when I told you that if someone does something to you, you can do it back?" Puck began.

"Yes I do." Beth nodded.

"Well, I was wrong." Puck stated. "Mommy and I want you to solve problems with words, not with hands, okay?"

"Okay." Beth repeated.

"And if anybody puts their hands on you, you tell them to stop and you let me or Mommy or your teacher know." Puck added.

Beth nodded. "Okay, Daddy."

"So you won't put your hands on anyone, right?"

"I promise."