Abortion (Beth)

"Hey, Beth."

"Hey, Aunt Sarah." Beth replied.

"Hey." Sarah repeated. "What's up?"

"I know it's late and I don't mean to bother you, but-"

"You're not bothering me." Sarah interrupted. "How's my favorite niece?"

Beth didn't say anything.

"Are you okay?" Sarah asked.

"Aunt Sarah, you can't tell my parents anything." Beth said.

"I won't." Sarah promised.

"My parents are going to New York with Grace to visit Uncle Jake, Aunt Marley, and the girls." Beth said. "Mercedes and Sam are gonna babysit for the weekend."

"Yeah, Jake mentioned something about getting dinner." Sarah said.

"Is there any way you could come to an appointment with me tomorrow afternoon?" Beth requested. "I just... I'm afraid and I don't wanna go alone."

"I'll be on the next flight out."

-

"Hi, Aunt Sarah." Beth said, getting into the car. "You didn't tell anyone you were coming to L.A., did you?"

"No, I figured it was a secret since you wanted me to keep it from your parents." Sarah noted. "But what exactly am I keeping from them?"

"I have to tell you something." Beth blurted. "And I need you to not judge me."

"Whatever it is, you can tell me." Sarah told her. "No judgement, okay?"

Beth nodded slowly and took a deep breath.

"At least tell me where I'm taking you so we won't be late." Sarah said.

"Planned parenthood."

-

"You said you weren't gonna judge me." Beth said when she and Sarah were in a room waiting for the doctor.

"I'm not judging you." Sarah promised.

"You haven't said anything since the car ride." Beth informed Sarah.

"I'm not judging you." Sarah repeated. She took a deep breath. "I had one a year or two ago."

Beth looked at Sarah.

"I was dating Tyler and I thought I wanted to settle down with him, but he was abusive." Sarah explained. "And I didn't wanna have a connection to him for the rest of my life so I got an abortion."

"I didn't know that." Beth said softly.

"I didn't tell anyone because I wanted to put everything behind me, and I didn't want my brothers getting involved." Sarah told Beth. "But I'm sure your parents wouldn't judge you for this. They've always supported you."

"This is different." Beth stated. "I mean, my mom was my age when she got pregnant with me so they wouldn't get it."

"Your mom would understand." Sarah insisted. "She knows how hard it is, physically, mentally, emotionally. She's always been supportive of there being a choice."

"Maybe she would think differently if it was me." Beth replied. "After all she went through for and because of me."

"She wouldn't want you to go through that unless you chose to." Sarah said. "She and your dad would support you either way."

Beth nodded slowly.

"I'm really glad you called me." Sarah added as she took Beth's hand. "You shouldn't have to do this alone."

"Thanks for being here."