Future of Football (Fuck)

"Dude, they want me!" Finn exclaimed. "Cooter asked me to be the quarterback for the Ohio State Buckeyes."

"Congrats, bro." Puck grinned as he hugged Finn. "Let's go win this thing."

Finn nodded and grabbed his helmet when the boys parted. "Come on."

"Puckerman."

Puck looked at Cooter, who had just entered the locker room.

"Shannon tells me you and Hudson are sort of a package deal." Cooter said. "You make a great team on the field. We should talk about your future after you boys win the game."

Puck looked at Finn, who nodded.

"That sounds great." Puck responded. "Thank you."

Cooter smiled at the boys. "Go get 'em."

-

The Titans were down by one touchdown. Finn and Puck had so much riding on the game that the other team was reading them too easily.

"We're running out of time." Finn noted.

"Pick a play for everyone else and I'll just start running towards the end zone." Puck said. "I'll be wide open."

"Yeah." Finn nodded. "Yeah, just start running as soon as I make the call."

"Yeah." Puck nodded back.

The Titans huddled and Finn called the play before they set it up.

As he said, Puck began running towards the end zone while the defense centered around the other Titans.

When Finn threw the ball, Puck got under it and caught it. The second he caught it, he was slammed to the ground.

The whistles immediately blew and Coach Beiste ran over to check on Puck, along with the referees and the medic.

Puck tried to get up, but his leg hurt too much. He stayed on the ground while the medic checked on him.

"What is it? Is it his shoulder?" Finn questioned them as he ran over and took off his helmet.

"His knee." Coach Beiste replied, turning to Finn. "Usually Puckerman bounces right up, but this is bad."

"How bad?" Finn wondered.

"They're gonna take him to the hospital." Coach Beiste stated.

They got Puck onto a stretcher and began taking him to the ambulance.

"I'll come with you." Finn said.

"You have a game to finish." Quinn added, appearing beside Finn with Santana and Brittany. "I'll go with him."

"You got this." Puck mumbled, putting his fist out.

Finn smiled slightly as he fist-bumped Puck.

-

"Thanks for coming with me." Puck said as he looked at Quinn after the doctor left the room. "You didn't have to."

"It was either me or Finn." Quinn pointed out. "And they can't play without the quarterback so..."

Puck nodded slowly.

Quinn put her hands in her pockets and took a deep breath.

"Well, I guess that was my last game." Puck noted. "Ever."

"You don't know that." Quinn said softly.

"The funny part is I was gonna get a scholarship to play football in college." Puck added. "Cooter made the unofficial offer not long before we started the second half."

Quinn bit her lip.

"I didn't think I was the college type, but I love football." Puck said. "And maybe I would've had the chance to go pro or something, and make something of myself."

"I'm sorry, Noah." Quinn apologized. "But you don't know if this is it. You might-"

"I need surgery, Quinn." Puck noted. "Which means I'm done for this season, and no one's gonna recruit me if they can't see how I play."

"I'm sorry." Quinn repeated.

"They're taking Finn, too." Puck said. "We could've been roommates and classmates, and we could've kept playing football together. I just blew it."

"But now once you heal you'll find something else." Quinn pointed out. "Maybe it'll be better."

"What could possibly be better than going to college parties with your wingman?" Puck wondered.

"You can still visit Finn at school and party with him." Quinn said, rolling her eyes. "And honestly, Noah, I know you. You would've had fun for a while and then it would've worn off and you'd go back to hating school."

"I know college isn't for me, but the college lifestyle is." Puck noted.

"You just need a new plan." Quinn said. "It might be better that way. You and Finn will both get to build your own successes independently."

"Yeah, maybe." Puck responded, furrowing his eyebrow as Finn entered the room. "Finn? What are you doing here?"

"The game just ended." Finn said. "Hence, the helmet hair and body odor."

Puck nodded. "And?"

"We won." Finn answered.

"Really?" Puck asked.

Finn nodded. "And I told Cooter it's both of us or neither of us."

"Finn." Puck scolded.

"He told me I should think about things for a day or two." Finn added. "But don't worry about that right now. How's the knee?"

"I'm getting surgery." Puck told Finn. "Quinn and I were just talking about it. I'm gonna need to do physical therapy, and I can't ask you to give up football for me."

Finn looked at Quinn and then turned back to Puck.

"Call Cooter and take his offer, dude." Puck commanded. "Without me."

"Puck." Finn shook his head.

"I mean it." Puck added. "I don't want you to miss out. It's a good opportunity for you."

"Are you sure?" Finn asked.

"I'm sure." Puck insisted. "I have two conditions though."

"What are they?" Finn wondered.

"You have to get me tickets to your games. I'll be there when I can." Puck said. "And you have to let me come to your college parties, especially with college girls."

Quinn rolled her eyes again, and Finn laughed lightly.

"Deal."