Christening (Quicketh)

"Noah." Quinn began. "I've been thinking."

"About what?" Puck asked, looking up from the baby in his arms.

"Beth." Quinn said. "I want her to be baptized."

"You want her to be baptized or your mom wants her to?" Puck wondered.

"I want her to." Quinn responded. "It's important to me."

Puck looked at Quinn.

"I wanna have it done before we start school again." Quinn added. "So sometime next month, I guess."

"So she'll be a Jew that practices Christianity?" Puck questioned Quinn.

"This is important to me. Being baptized is being made a Christian and making her free from sin. And I know it doesn't make sense to you, but I was baptized and I'd like our daughter to be." Quinn explained. "But I also want her to learn about Judaism from you and your mom."

"You do?" Puck asked.

Quinn nodded. "You and I both practice different faiths, and our daughter should get to experience both sides of her heritage."

"Okay." Puck nodded back. "Yeah, I'd like that."

"Good." Quinn said. "Because I wanna ask Mercedes to be her godmother, and I was thinking you could ask Finn to be her godfather."

"Jews don't really do that so whoever you want is fine with me." Puck replied.

"Will you talk to Finn?" Quinn requested.

"Sure."

-

"Noah!" Quinn called. "Are you ready to go?"

"I'm right here." Puck said as he entered the room. "Where's your mom?"

"She's gonna meet us there." Quinn answered.

Puck nodded as he looked at Beth in her white dress.

"This was my dress when I was baptized." Quinn told Puck. "My mom saved it in case I had a daughter someday."

"Well, she looks beautiful." Puck said. "And so do you."

"Thank you." Quinn smiled as she looked Puck up and down.

"Is this okay?" Puck asked. "I know you told me to wear a suit, but this is the only one I had."

"You look great." Quinn nodded. "We should go."

-

"So what do I have to do here?" Puck asked when he parked the car.

"Well, we're gonna walk in with the other parents whose babies are being baptized today and then we sit and listen for a while and then they'll invite us up and ask us questions." Quinn explained.

"What kind of questions?" Puck wondered.

"Just stuff like her name and what we're there for." Quinn answered. "I'll help you through it."

"Okay." Puck exhaled. "We should go in then."

Quinn nodded as she got out of the car and got Beth from her car seat. She looked at Puck as she led the way inside.

-

"At this time, I'd like to invite the parents and children, and godparents up to the front."

Quinn gently nudged Puck as she stood up with Beth cradled in her arms. They stood at the front with Finn and Mercedes behind them.

"Quinn, Noah, what name is your child known to God and to us?"

"Beth." Puck answered.

"What do you seek for your child today?"

Puck looked at Quinn.

"Baptism." Quinn replied.

"In asking for Baptism, it will be your responsibility to train Beth in the practice of our Faith, by keeping God's commandments as Christ taught us. Godparents, are you ready to help the parents in their duty as Christian parents?"

"Totally." Finn nodded.

"We are." Mercedes said, giving Finn a look.

"Beth, the Christian community welcomes you with great joy. In the name of all of us here present and all of God's people, I claim you for Christ by the sign of the cross and invite your parents and godparents to do the same."

Puck watched as Quinn and Mercedes did the sign of the cross, with Finn awkwardly copying them.

As the mass continued, Puck observed more than anything else. He was like a fish out of water and he hated it. He hated being like a fly on the wall in his own daughter's life.

"Beth, I baptize you, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

"Amen." Quinn nodded, comforting Beth when she started crying after the water was poured on her. "Shh, B."

"I got her." Puck said softly as he took Beth. She quickly calmed down in her father's arms. "Good girl, Monkeyface. I got you."

-

When the ceremony was over, Quinn and Puck headed back to the car.

Puck buckled Beth into her car seat before getting in the driver's seat. He buckled his seatbelt and looked at Quinn beside him.

"All set?" Puck asked.

"Yeah, we're gonna go to Breadstix with my mom, Finn, and Mercedes." Quinn added.

-

When they got to the restaurant, Puck parked the car, and he and Quinn got out.

"That was a nice ceremony." Quinn noted.

"Mhm." Puck muttered as he opened Beth's car door.

"I know it wasn't really something you wanted for her, but thank you for compromising." Quinn said as she put her hand on Puck's arm. "It meant a lot to me to do this today. And to my mom."

"Yeah, of course." Puck said.

"You're a really good father, Noah." Quinn added. "And a good person. So thank you."

"Anything for her." Puck nodded. "And for you."