Two Boys

March 13th, 1978

Dumbledore was in his office, enjoying the silence of that early Monday morning.

It was early enough that the sun had just started rising in the horizon, when a Patronus wolf surged through his window.

He frowned trying to remember who he knew that had a wolf for their Patronus.

"Prof. Dumbledore," it was Florence Delacour's voice, "I need to speak to you, sir. It's a matter of utmost importance and calls for extreme discretion."

He was surprised, concerned and very curious; raising his wand he sent her his own Patronus in response: "Of course, my dear. You can come to my office right now. I'll allow you passage directly into my office, via Floo."

Less than ten minutes after he had sent his answer, the flames in his fireplace turned green and Florence walked out of them.

"Good morning, Headmaster. I'm sorry to bother you this early, but what I have to say is very important," she spoke fast, walking to the chair in front of his desk and sitting down.

"Morning, Florence. Whatever you say in this office won't leave these walls, dear."

"Are you sure about the portraits? Cause I'm not," she pointed to the dead Headmasters' portraits, before casting: "Glacio pingere." and all portraits stopped moving, looking like any common muggle painting, "Now, we can speak."

Dumbledore frowned, "What is it that you have to tell me that demands such secrecy?"

"I'm pregnant," she went straight to the point.

Dumbledore slowly sat back on his chair, understanding the importance of that information.

"I see. And Severus is the father," he wasn't asking.

"Yes. But he doesn't know - and he'll remain in the dark about it. No one can know he's the father. That's where I need your help: I need to keep my pregnancy a secret for as long as I'm still a student here."

He nodded, "You need a Keeper."

"Yes. I need a Secret Keeper for the duration of my pregnancy. My magic is becoming unstable, and Pomfrey said I soon won't be able to fully protect myself."

"I understand protecting your child is the most important thing for you right now, Florence, but is a Fidelius Charm really necessary?"

"Protecting my children is the most important thing," she corrected him, "I'm expecting twins; but the Fidelius is to protect their father as well. Father heard that Severus and I dated and he wasn't pleased; he threatened to kill Severus if I ever got back together with him. And these babies were conceived months after that conversation."

Dumbledore leaned closer to her, intrigued: "And when did that conversation happen?"

"In the summer. Father personally came to see me in Hogsmeade to let me know that."

"So your deal is off, since he's interfering in your life," realised Dumbledore.

Florence nodded.

"So will you help us in the fight against your father, Miss Peverell?"

"Yes," she answered with certainty.

"Very well," Dumbledore sounded as pleased as he felt, "I'll be your Secret Keeper for the duration of your pregnancy. Will you want witnesses? You must choose wisely, once the Secrecy Spell is cast, only us and them will be able to tell others about it."

"Eileen and Pomfrey will be our witnesses. And I've already talked to Sirius."

"Of course; the babies' grandmother and the mediwitch. And Sirius will play the part of the father when needed?" he asked, Florence nodded, "Very well, I'll call Poppy and-"