Hearts in danger

Snapes' family home

The twins stood in the living room, when they saw the front door opening and their mother walked in.

"Mum," they both said.

Florence cast a quick silencing spell and slammed the door shut, not wanting to wake up her younger children.

"Don't!" she angrily hissed, pointing a finger at them, "I don't want to hear one bloody word coming out of your mouths!" she walked towards them and stopped, her eyes falling on Severus's favourite armchair, its vacancy reminding her of where her husband was, bringing fresh tears to her eyes and making it hard to speak around the lump in her throat.

The twins stared at her, and then shared a puzzled look.

Something's not right with mum. Nicholas told his brother.

I can see that! Where's dad for starters?

They watched Florence sit on Severus' armchair and start to sob.

"Mum, what's happening?" James asked, kneeling in front of her, Nicholas doing the same beside him.

"Your father has been summoned," she whispered, "Voldemort is back. He killed a boy in the Tournament-"

"Harry?" both asked, worried.

Florence shook her head, "No. Cedric Diggory. He was an only child... I can't even begin to imagine the pain the Diggorys must be feeling right now," she cried harder and the twins hugged her, "Now, your father is probably with my-"

She stopped abruptly, realising that the kids didn't know who her father was.

"Your what, mum?" asked Nick, looking at her with a frown.

"Where is dad?" asked James, fear growing in his chest.

She looked at the twins for a few seconds, wondering what she should say; she already knew she wouldn't be able to protect them from her father, everybody knew about them.

Florence touched both their faces and whispered: "Severus is with my father," she paused and sniffled, whispering: "The Dark Lord is my father, boys."

The twins stared at her with equal disbelief expressions.

What the hell? James mentally asked his brother.

"WHAT?" they asked out loud in unison.

She glanced at the stairs, checking if Liz or Chris hadn't woken up.

"I've never told any of you that before," she continued, "But it's the truth – I'm the Dark Lord's daughter and he... he is back. He's summoned all his death eaters earlier tonight," she let out a heavy sigh, "So your father is, right at this moment, in a meeting with him. And-" she paused, taking a breath before sharing with them her biggest fear.

"What, mum?" asked Nicholas, sensing there was more to that story.

"Many years ago," Florence began explaining, "Before you two were even conceived, Sev and I broke up and my father threatened to kill him if I ever dated him again."

"Fuck. And now he's back, and you're married," whispered James, understanding her fear.

"Will he really kill dad?" Nick asked apprehensively.

"I don't know," she shook her head, her voice breaking.

Oh, no. Thought James, desperation taking over. No, Nicholas, no! This can't be happening!