Relationships

February 1997

Snapes' family home

"Potion-making is called an art for a reason, son. It demands attention and knowledge," said Severus as he was walking out of the lab with James.

"Yeah, I get it. it's just that you and mum make it look so easy," James replied, clearly upset for having reached a standstill in his potions studies.

"Well, we've both been studying it for many years," Severus explained, "Your mother's been brewing since she was eight. I've been reading about ingredients and spells since I was nine. You'll get there eventually."

"With patience," the teenager sighed.

"A lot of patience," nodded Severus.

They reached the dining table, where Florence and Nicholas already were sitting and waiting for dinner.

"Becoming a Potions Master is not as easy as you thought, James?" Florence asked.

"Absolutely not, mum," he sat across from her, to his father's left. "It's amazing how you make it look so easy."

"Same with charms, man," Nicholas said, shaking his head, "I have the intention, but not enough knowledge to properly make a functioning original spell. You'd think it's just words, but there's meaning, intonation, reasoning and even feelings involved."

"You two did know both areas of study have few Masters," Florence reminded them.

"Yeah, mum," said James, "But we thought it was because people are dumb and lazy, not because both are truly hard subjects."

"We never even studied at Durmstrang for Potions, Charms or Curses tests," added Nicholas, "We always excelled with very little hard work."

Severus chuckled, "Had you two gone to Hogwarts, you'd scream in boredom at what we are allowed to teach there."

Florence was about to compare what she thought of the curriculum of both Hogwarts and Durmstrang, but she was interrupted by sudden green sparks shooting out of the fireplace.

The four of them jumped from their chairs, running to the living room with their wands in hand.

"What's happening?" asked Nick, worried.

"Someone is trying to enter the house through the Floo from an unauthorised place," Severus explained, approaching the sparking fireplace, quickly identifying where they were coming from, his voice heavy with concern: "It's from Little Hangleton," he looked at Florence and they both knew what that meant: they were about to be tested.

She walked to her husband and looked into his eyes before kissing his lips briefly but passionately.

The twins watched all of that with similar frowns of confusion and worry.

Do you know what's happening? James asked his brother.

Maybe... dad said Little Hangleton... and by the way they're worried and kissing...

You think grandfather is coming here? Finished James, feeling his mouth go dry.

Nick just nodded.

They saw their father bring their mother's left hand to his lips and kiss her wedding ring.

"Together, love," he whispered.

"Together," she replied, touching their foreheads together before turning to look at the twins, telling them: "Occlumency barriers up! Do NOT kneel in front of him! Address him as grandfather – NOT my Lord. Let your father and me do most of the talking. Also: DO NOT make eye contact for longer than a couple of seconds!"