Narcissa's Unexpected Development

Back in the Order Headquarters, right after the rescue

Severus walked into Remus's house with his daughter in his arms and ran past everyone in the living room, ignoring the cheers and the questions of how it had been; he just wanted to get to his wife – who he had drugged.

There would be time for debriefing later, once everyone had gotten back – if he survived Florence's wrath.

"Are we going to see mummy?" Sophie asked against his neck, the stuffed hippogriff held tight in her left arm.

"Yes, baby girl," he whispered, as he walked to the third floor, "But she may be sleeping," he stopped by the bedroom door and called: "Tiffany."

And the elf appeared in the corridor, "Mistress Sophie!" the elf squealed happily, "Tiffany is glad to see her little Mistress is safe," she let out a relieved sigh and looked at Severus, "Mistress Florence is still asleep, Master."

He nodded and exhaled in relief himself, "I'll put you on the bed with your mum, Sophie, but you must let her sleep," For my sake. He added mentally.

The toddler nodded and he walked into the room, looking at his beautiful wife on the bed.

Sophie smiled, whispering: "Mum is so pretty."

"Yes, she is. And you look just like her, love," he kissed her forehead and set her on the bed beside her mother.

The girl lay down and hugged Florence tightly, closing her eyes.

"Keep an eye on them, Tiff," Severus ordered, "I need to take a shower," and he went to the bathroom.

__________

Florence woke up slowly, feeling her mouth dry as if she had drunk too much the night before – which she knew she hadn't.

She blinked, surprised at the feel of someone beside her, too small to be her husband. She forced her eyes open and found a small pretty girl sleeping by her side.

"Sophie," she exhaled, tears falling from her eyes, "Oh, my baby!" she kissed her face softly a few times, not wanting to wake her up, allowing her worries to vanish; her daughter was back in her arms, safe and sound.

Severus? Florence called through their bond, afraid of learning the reason Sophie was there but he wasn't.

"I'm here," she heard him say, as the door to the bathroom opened and he walked into the room, dressed on dark blue joggers and no shirt.

After the relief of seeing him in one piece wore off, she glared at him, not letting his sexy body distract her from the earful he deserved.

You drugged me! She growled in his mind, not wanting Sophie to hear it.

"Nothing too strong," he replied out loud, carefully keeping his distance from the bed, still unsure what Florence was going to do, "A safe, Poppy-approved, dosage that would ensure you stayed put while I rescued Sophie," he pointed at their daughter, "Who is there, safe in your arms. And I'm completely unharmed as you can see."

She could see it alright, he was still naked from the waist up and his joggers hung really low on his hips; his hair still damp from the shower.

"I should hex you," she said, sighing.

He chuckled, not missing the desire in her eyes, "But you won't?"

After a few seconds of silence – which she did just to watch him wonder what she'd do – Florence shook her head, "No, I won't. You brought Sophie back and didn't get yourself killed," she paused again, caressing their daughter's hair, and then admitting in a low voice: "Part of me understands why you gave me the sleeping draught."