Dumb Teens & Christmas

December 1996

Hogwarts, Hospital wing

Florence, Pomfrey and McGonagall were enjoying some afternoon tea in the empty infirmary, in a rare quiet day, while most of the students were in Hogsmeade.

"Is it true that Hermione Granger is dating James, Florence?" asked Pomfrey.

"Wait!" exclaimed McGonagall, surprised by that information, "The James boy Granger's been talking about is your James? She is dating Severus' son? Not just any son – his firstborn son?"

"Yes," Florence laughed, "And it's time we stopped valuing a kid above others just because they were born first, don't you think?"

"It's how the wizarding society still thinks, Florence," shrugged McGonagall, "If anything were to happen to you and Severus, James would be your main heir. But tell me: does Severus know about them?"

"Yes, he does," she smiled.

"And how big was the tantrum?"

"Not as big as you'd imagine," Florence said, after sipping her tea, "He was very surprised, a bit angry too, but nothing he hadn't gone through before, since Nick has been dating Fred for two years-"

The Transfiguration teacher nearly choked on her sandwich, "Fred? As in Fred WEASLEY??"

"Yep."

McGonagall roared with laughter then.

Florence had to laugh alongside the teacher, "That's still a sore conversational spot for him."

"Do the Weasleys know?" Pomfrey asked.

"No. Not yet. Just George knows of Nick, but neither knows about Sev and I being the boys' parents."

"That's brilliant!" exclaimed McGonagall as she worked on stopping laughing, "You know I'll have to tease Severus about this, don't you?"

"Of course, professor," said Florence, "Please do while I'm in the room."

They were sharing another bout of laughter when, all of a sudden, the doors were kicked opened and Hagrid stormed into the room, carrying a student in his arms.

"She's been cursed!" he shouted, putting the unconscious girl on a bed.

The three women stood up quickly.

"That's Katie Bell!" gasped McGonagall.

"Cursed?" exclaimed Florence, running to the girl's bedside, "Wasn't she in Hogsmeade?"

"Ay. Harry's got the package she was carryin'. All I know is she touched't and suddenly was flyin' up in the air and screamin'!"

Florence ran her wand over Katie Bell's body, getting worried, "Yes, she was cursed. And it's quickly killing her."

McGonagall was close to tears, "Oh no! How could this happen?"

Pomfrey approached the bed with her wand, running a diagnosis herself and shaking her head, "This is beyond my abilities;" then she looked at Florence: "Can you save her?"

"Let's see what I can do," she whispered in reply, getting ready to cast the powerful counter-curse she knew. She moved her wand in an intricate pattern and cast: "Maledictum nusquam aut nullum fore."

But it didn't work – at all.

"What the fuck?" Florence muttered, frowning – it was like the curse in Katie's body was able to completely ignore the strong energy of her counter-curse.