Valentine's Day

January 1981

Delacour Manor

Florence was reading in her home library, from outside she could hear the happy squeals of her two-year-old sons who were playing in the backyard with their Uncle Padfoot.

She had called her boyfriend there for lunch that day because she needed to talk to him, but he had picked up the boys at the day care centre and taken them home earlier than usual just to delay their conversation.

After the four of them had lunch, Florence waited for Sirius to put the boys down for a nap in the middle of the afternoon and hoped they could talk then, but he had fallen asleep with the twins.

And when they had finally woken up, they all had tea together and Sirius took the boys outside to play a little more.

So it was nearly dinnertime and Florence still hadn't had an opportunity to talk to him.

She sighed in annoyance.

That childish behaviour of his was one of the reasons she could never see herself spending her life with him.

Sirius avoided any situation that made him uncomfortable, while she liked to tackle problems right away – whenever possible she even worked ahead of the problems, trying to stop them before they had a chance to happen.

Finally, she heard Sirius and the twins walking into the house and left the library, meeting them in the living room.

"Now, boys, you say goodbye to Padfoot and go upstairs with Tiffany to take a shower. Mum will have a word with your uncle while you two get clean for dinner."

The boys hugged Sirius and followed their house-elf upstairs.

"Come with me to the library, Sirius," she invited him.

"Listen, Flor, I know what you're going to say, and I-"

"Sirius," she called him, "Come to the library."

He sighed in defeat and followed her into the beautiful library, where they sat on the sofa.

"Please, now you listen," Florence started, "I can't express how thankful I am for all you've done for me and for my kids during these past two years – almost three, for you were by my side during my pregnancy," she paused, smiling softly at him, "You have to know that I am extremely grateful for your generosity, and for your love."

"Please don't speak anymore," he whispered, looking at her with sad eyes, "I know what you're going to say. Please don't say it, Flor."

"Sirius..." she sighed, "Don't make this harder than it has to be. In two years I haven't been able to let you touch me, I don't feel any desire for you – and it's absolutely NOT your fault!" she added, not wanting to hurt his feelings more than she knew it inevitably would, "You have been sleeping around during those years – with my full blessing, I might add – but you are tied to me at the same time. It's not fair to you. You deserve to find a woman to settle down. Or not! – if that's your wish. Just go on having fun for as long as you like. But I can't keep on pretending to be your girlfriend. I'm sorry."

Sirius stared at her, heartbroken, "I knew this was what you wanted to talk about..." he sighed, "I had hopes you'd love me someday."

"I do love you, but not like you want me to. I just... I can't keep cheating on you with Severus occasionally, while you go out every week to shag some random woman. This is not fair to you!"

He opened his mouth to say something but she held his hand and continued:

"Sirius, I don't love you as a man. I just... I love you, but like a dear friend."