Where loyalties lie

February 4 th , 1998

In front of Lupin's House

Lucius Malfoy stood in the shadows across the street from an – apparently – empty plot. The notice-me-not spell had been efficiently cast over the building, plus other protection and muggle-repellent spells. If it weren't for the three weeks he had been watching and following Order members, Lucius would doubt they were hiding there in that inconspicuous muggle neighbourhood.

But he was certain that he was at the right place.

He trembled in excitement; it was only a matter of time till he captured Potter – and then all his problems would disappear.

Capturing Potter had become a matter of survival for Lucius. He desperately needed to get himself in the Dark Lord's good side.

It hadn't escaped his notice that every man that had fucked Narcissa in the last year had suspiciously turned up dead somewhere during the past month. First Nott, then Rebastan, Travis and Goyle. There was only Greyback still alive and then Lucius feared he'd be next.

The Dark Lord had done nothing to find out about their deaths, which confirmed Lucius' suspicions that Snape and his bitch were the ones behind them – and also made his situation even more precarious, for he couldn't go against the Lord's family, therefore he needed Potter if he were to save his own skin.

So he waited across the street.

_____________

It was past midnight when Lucius finally saw Potter and his two friends, the ginger blood-traitor and the mudblood, walking out of the empty plot, being followed by Mad-Eye Moody and the werewolf, Lupin.

He followed them down the street, excitement making his heart jump – he could already see Snape's furious face as he was congratulated by the Dark Lord for being the one to finally give him Potter!

He watched the group stop by a park bench and used that moment to call Snape – something he hated that he had to do, but the Dark Lord had ordered him to.

Lucius also called Bellatrix and his own useless son – who he hoped would die that night; considering he had already tortured Draco himself before leaving the manor a few hours ago, the chances were real.

As he waited for the three of them to arrive, Lucius walked towards the group of five people by the bench, chuckling darkly as he approached them.

"Well, well, well. What have we here?"

Remus and Moody moved quickly and put themselves between Lucius and the other three, their wands pointing at the blond man's face.

"Malfoy," growled Moody, "Decided this is a good night to die, eh? Showing yourself to us all alone."

Lucius smirked, "Do you take me for a fool, Mad-Eye?"

"Is that a question?" sneered the auror.

"You useless little-"

Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop.

The sound of four people apparating cut through the cold air, echoing in the empty park, and interrupting Lucius.

Remus looked at who had arrived and struggled to hide his apprehension at the sight of the most twisted woman alive: Bellatrix. He looked at the others, his eyes briefly meeting Severus' before glancing at James and, finally, Draco.

Bloody hell . Remus thought, the blond boy looked like he had just arrived from a horrible fight – of which he had been the loser side; Draco was bleeding from a wound on his head, the dark-red blood staining his white-blond hair and a thin red drip had dried down the side of his face.