Epilogue 2004

Six years later

June 28th, 2004

Florence rolled on the bed trying to find her husband to kiss him good morning but found herself moving to the edge of the mattress, finding no warm body to stop her.

"Sev?" she called, opening her eyes to the soft sunlight entering the room through the open doors of the balcony.

She got up, picking up her nightgown from the floor, where it had been tossed on the night before, and putting it on.

She stopped by the balcony door and found Severus dressed in shorts, naked from the waist up, standing near the glass railing, looking down at the backyard, where a lot of people and elves were working to clean up and decorate everything for their daughter's wedding that evening.

"Morning, Sev," Florence said, wrapping her arms around his naked waist, rubbing her face on his warm back, and sensing his tension, "What's wrong, love?"

"Liz is getting married today," he said.

"Yes, she is. Our little princess is already old enough to get married."

Severus shook his head, "No, she's not. She's just twenty-one. She should travel, go to college, meet other men..."

"Aha! So it's the same blond problem as ever..." she nodded in understanding, stopping beside him and getting his cup of coffee from his hands to take a few sips, "You know... out of all our kids, Liz is the only one blessed by the Enchantment so far, and I've begun to wonder if the reason for that ancient magic to choose a couple to bless rests in the difficulties said couple might face in their path to being together."

Severus looked at her, sending the empty cup from her hands to the kitchens and pulling her close to him.

"It makes sense," he said, "I doubt you parents would have married and had you, if it weren't for the Enchantment."

"No, I don't think they would," Florence shook her head, "My mum wouldn't have accepted father's erratic lifestyle if they hadn't been blessed."

Severus nodded, agreeing with her reasoning, "You and I were surrounded by reasons that could ensure we never ended up together."

"Exactly. With father threatening to murder you, one could say our chances of a happy ending were slim to none. And Liz and Draco... well, you've been against even the thought of seeing them together from the start."

"Yes. I think your theory makes sense," he caressed her face, looking at her with troubled eyes.

"What is wrong, Sev?" She asked, "You're not yourself this morning..."

"Mm," he kissed her briefly, "I've been thinking lately."

"Thinking about what, my love?"

"Do you ever regret it?" he quietly asked.

"Regret what?" Florence asked, being taken unexpectedly by that question.

"Going to Hogwarts- meeting me."

"Of course, I don't regret it, Severus! If you don't remember, four years ago it was us marrying in this backyard!"

"I'll never forget that day," he smiled, "You were gorgeous, dressed in a long ivory dress; and we had an amazing honeymoon," he kissed her, "It still amazes me that you love me after I made you suffer so much in the past."

"Well, you did do that, but... if I could go back and change anything about us – I wouldn't," she caressed his face, "This is our story, the story that led us here to this perfect summer morning. I wouldn't risk losing that."