Simmering Chaos

July 1997

Little Hangleton

Severus walked into the large, beautiful house and went straight to the room to the right of the stairs, passing by Peter Pettigrew without giving the rat not even an acknowledgement glance.

It was late night, Severus should be home having dinner with his wife and his sons, but the Dark Lord had summoned him, so there he was.

He entered the meeting room without knocking, just in time to hear his father-in-law talking to a blond death eater:

"Well, Yaxley?" Voldemort asked, "Will the Ministry have fallen by next Saturday?"

"My Lord, I have good news on that score. I have – with difficulty, and after great effort," the death eater tried to emphasise his hard work, "Successfully placed an Imperius Curse upon Pius Thicknesse. Now with him and Umbridge so close to the Minister, it won't be long."

"It is a start," Voldemort nodded appreciatively, "But Thicknesse is only one man and Umbridge can't be left to do things on her own – she's too greedy. Scrimgeour must be surrounded by our people before I act."

"Yes, my Lord," Yaxley nodded, "It'll soon be done to your liking, my Lord."

"It better be. And how is the Azkaban break out?"

"Two weeks at the most, my Lord."

"Good. Make sure it's not delayed again," Voldemort dismissed the death eater with a hand movement and looked at the door, "Ah, Severus. Come closer. Yaxley was just leaving."

The blond death eater bowed and went to the door, giving Snape a look of pure hatred as he walked by him.

Just another blond idiot. Severus thought, before saying, "You summoned me, my Lord," as he kneeled by the table.

"Yes. Rise, Severus. Rise. I wish to discuss somethings with you. Join me for dinner."

Severus sat on the chair the man had pointed at and waited for him to speak.

"The Ministry will soon fall," began Voldemort, "And, as you know, I want Florence to represent me as Minister when that happens."

"Yes, my Lord. She's aware of your wish and she's ready to take on that job."

"Yes. I don't doubt she is. And having her as the face of our administration will be perfect. She's a beautiful woman, an accomplished mediwitch," he paused, his eyes piercing Severus dangerously, "However: she's also s single mother surrounded by gossip where her sons are concerned. Why haven't you registered the boys already, Severus?"

"We are married through blood magic, my Lord, so I haven't claimed Florence, neither publicly nor on legal terms. For that reason, I can't simply register them – wizarding laws protect men against gold-diggers. Heirs can only be claimed under marriage."

"Ah, I see. So you'd have to claim her to claim the boys."

"Yes, my Lord. And it wouldn't be difficult to do so; I'd only have to perform a Revelio spell in front of an officer of the Wizarding Registration Office. Then she and the twins would be mine in life and paper."

"Hmm," Voldemort seemed to ponder, "But by doing that, you'd be giving Florence and the twins your filthy muggle surname," he sounded clearly displeased.

"Yes, my Lord," Severus nodded, "The ring on your daughter's finger is from my mother's family-"

"The honourable, pure-blooded Prince Family," said Voldemort nodding.