Unraveling

Next morning

Florence woke up to the sound of soft-spoken words nearby.

"Severus?" she smiled, as she recognised her husband's voice.

He had laid his head near her belly and was talking to their unborn babies.

"Your throat doesn't hurt anymore?" she asked, touching his hair.

"Hey, princess. Not as much as yesterday," Severus said, casting Menta spiritus and kissing a path from her round belly to her lips, lying beside her.

Florence sighed and caressed his face, looking into his eyes with love and relief, "I love you, Sev. I don't ever want to feel like I'm about to lose you again."

"I'm here, my love," he kissed her lips once more, "I'm alive."

"Yes, thankgoodness," her green eyes shining as she looked at him, "I bet father will be furious when he hears you didn't die."

"No doubt about it. He won't be happy. Which makes him very very dangerous."

Florence nodded, intertwining her left hand with his right one on her chest.

"What will we do now?" she asked.

He shook his head, looking at their hands, "I don't know," he whispered honestly, "For the first time in my life I have no idea what we should do next," he kissed her wedding ring, "Perhaps we shall let others think about the war for a while," and he looked into her eyes, "I am nearly fully healed, but I have to focus on you now."

She frowned, "On me? Why? I'm perfectly fine," her green eyes sparkled in annoyance, daring him to say otherwise.

Severus fixed her with a knowingly look, "Playing dumb doesn't befit you, wife."

Florence rolled her eyes, "I'm not sick, husband."

"No, you're not. But you need to rest; you have to stop doing everything. You're growing two babies inside you, Florence; and yet in the past thirty-six hours you've given me blood, healed me, and dealt with the kids – which I bet have found a way to get in trouble here already."

"Oh, you have no idea," she muttered.

He kissed her left hand, "Let me take care of you, love."

She grimaced, knowing that if she said 'yes' he'd be shoving food in her face and watching her every move for the next three months; but her sensible medical-trained mind knew he was right to worry – she was threading a very thin line when it came to having a healthy and safe twin-pregnancy.

"Fine," she finally conceded, "I'll let you be a controlling little shit, lording over me from now on."

Severus chuckled and added: "And you won't hex me?"

"No," she grumbled, "But I'll complain!"

Severus laughed before kissing her lips, and she rolled her eyes again.

Then they heard the door opening, and Elizabeth's voice: "Are you two decent?"

Florence laughed, "Yes, Liz!"

"Good!" she said, entering the room, "Good morning, mum and dad!"

And she was followed by Christopher, Sophie and Tiffany.

"Tiffany brought breakfast!" declared the elf, "Only soft fruits and warm tea for Master Severus and eggs and bacon for Mistress Flor."

The couple sat up on the bed, smiling.