Chapter 18

It was lunch period in Juuban Middle. Usagi and Harusuke were unwrapping their bentos and were looking forward to eating their lunches.

"Oh boy! This looks so good!" said Usagi as she eagerly took a fish cake and popped it into her mouth.

"Make sure not to eat too fast, Usagi," said Harusuke. "You'll get a tummy ache if you do."

Just then they heard Yumi, Naru, and Satsuki.

"Wow! Those photographs look amazing!" commented Yuri.

"I know, right?" agreed Naru. "And what's amazing is that the kid who took them is still only in middle school!"

"It also even says that he won the Japan Photo Contest!" said Satsuki. "This kid's a genius!"

Harusuke and Usagi feeling curious, then went up to the three who saw that they were looking at an article in a magazine. Next to that article were various and beautiful pictures of landscapes from oceans to houses. The two of them were amazed.

"Wow, Naru. Who's the person that took these photos?" asked Harusuke.

"A boy named Kijin Shinokawa," replied Naru. "Known for being a young prodigy in the world of photography."

Usagi then took the magazine, gave it a quick look, and gasped. "No way! It also says that he's a middle school student from Gohongi Middle School?!"

"Gohongi Middle? Isn't that the school that's right next to the one that Rei goes to?" wondered Harusuke thoughtfully.

Usagi didn't answer, for she had taken the magazine and went over to Ami, who was busily working on some equations while eating her lunch.

"Hey, Ami! You have to see this!" said Usagi excitedly. "This boy in this article goes to the school that's right near the T.A. Girls' Academy that Rei goes to!"

"Yes. I'm aware of that," said Ami.

"And isn't that what I just said?" said Harususke flatly.

"Come on, you guys! How can you both be so calm about this?!" cried Usagi indignantly. "Don't you understand that we might have the opportunity to meet someone famous today?! So I say we go and get his autograph!"

"Sorry, Usagi, but I can't," said Ami. "I have cram school this afternoon."

"Aw, come on, Ami!" complained Usagi. "All you ever do is study! We're only young once, so you should make the best of it by having some fun once and a while!"

"But I am having fun," said Ami. "Studying hard is pretty enjoyable, in my opinion."

"I can kinda relate to that," said Harusuke. "Even though studying is supposed to improve your mind, it can be fun once you put your mind to it."

Usagi groaned in annoyance. "You are both so hopeless."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Meanwhile, outside Gonhongi Middle School, the very boy in question was being interviewed by reporters.

"So, Kijin. Tell us!" said a male reporter. "How does it feel to win the Japan Photo Contest?"

Kijin shyly looked down. "Well... I'm happy, I guess," he replied.

"Great!" said the male reporter happily. "And will you continue to photograph landscapes?"

"Well... I guess so..." said Kijin.

Just then, Usagi, Naru, and Harusuke came from behind the corner and saw Kijin. Naturally, Usagi was excited upon seeing him.