Chapter 55

It was a peaceful morning at the Aino residence. Minako was still fast asleep, unaware of the morning sun shining through their window. Minako was having a pleasant dream of her old crush, Alan, and as she dreamt, she hugged a sleeping Artemis tightly. Artemis let out a yowl of surprise and pain-causing Minako to wake up with a start. She sleepily sat up now, half-awake holding up Artemis by the scruff of his neck. She also realized that Artemis was holding her alarm clock, which showed that it was eight-ten. When she saw the time, she wasn't half-asleep anymore, her eyes going wide as she let out a scream that was enough to shatter a window.

"I'm late!" Minako shrieked, now in a total panic. "Why does this always happen to me?!"

She hurriedly got out of bed and practically ripped her clothes off, trying to get dressed as quickly as she could, while Artemis watched her get ready, sighing with exasperation.

"Man, I'm going to be late again, Artemis! I told you a thousand times, stop turning off my alarm clock!" Minako cried as she put on her skirt. Then, she noticed the white feline watching her and threw her pajamas at him. "And what're you looking at, you pervert?!"

Artemis sighed as he popped his head out of Minako's pajamas. "Well, looks like it's going to be another one of those mornings," he said to himself. "I know that Usagi's the queen of tardiness, but Minako can be a little bit more dependable."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Minako soon got dressed, and Artemis ran as fast as they could, hoping that Minako would make it on time for school. But then, Minako saw a wall and got an idea.

"A shortcut!" Minako cried. "This should save a little time!"

And with a hop, skip, and a jump, they went over the wall. However, Minako landed on her bum right on top of Artemis.

"Whew! That was a close one," Minako panted. "I think I should be able to get there on time now."

Artemis groaned as he pulled himself out from under the girl. "Geez! You're heavy!" he complained.

Minako felt insulted and was about to yell at the white cat, but then she heard a voice coming from nearby.

"Let me through!" it demanded. "I'm not going to give you my badge!"

Minako then got up and raced around the corner and saw where the voice came from, skidding to a stop. A little girl with two older boys was a few feet away, just between a mailbox and a telephone pole. The girl was small, appearing to be a kindergartener having brown hair styled in pigtails, while the boys were big, one wearing a green shirt with brown shorts and the other wearing blue pants with an orange jacket.

"Come on, you loser. Hand over your badge right now," said the green-shirted kid.

"No, I won't!" said the little girl. "Go away and let me through!"

"Give it now!" scowled the orange jacket kid. "Hand over the badge now or else!"

"Hey! What do you two think you're doing?!" Minako yelled as she charged straight for them. "Leave her alone, you bullies!"

The two boys feeling frightened, took off running as Minako ran up to the girl who was now crying.

"Hey. Are you okay?" Minako asked, consoling her. "It's alright."

The girl then looked up, revealing to have not been crying at all, smiling as she laughed a bit. "Yeah. I know that, but thank you for your help," she said.

Minako was surprised and even a little impressed. "W-Wow. Those were fake tears?" asked Minako. "That's pretty good acting, kid."

"Thank you, Miss," smiled the girl. "Say, since you're here, can I ask you to walk with me over to the bus stop?"