Chapter 46

At Juuban Middle School, Usagi was sitting in the classroom waiting for class to begin. However, she wasn't in the best mood like her classmates around her. And the reason was right next to her desk. Next to her desk was Harusuke's, which was empty.

At that moment, Naru and Umino came up to her. "Hey, Usagi! How's it going?" they greeted.

"Oh. Hi, Naru," responded Usagi.

Naru then noticed Usagi was looking a bit glum. "What's wrong?" she asked. "Something bothering you?"

"No. Nothing really," replied Usagi. "I was just feeling a bit tired, is all."

Umino then noticed Harusuke's empty desk. "That's strange. Harusuke's not here yet," he said. "I wonder if he's running late."

"Oh, come on, Umino. This is Harusuke we're talking about; he's never late for school," said Naru. "Although, I wonder if he's hiding somewhere in the classroom, or maybe he's in the restroom or something. Right, Usagi?"

Usagi didn't respond. At that moment, the school bell began to ring, and everyone immediately took their seats. Then Ms. Haruna walked in and started taking roll. She eventually came close to the Ts and now on Harusuke's name.

"Harusuke Tsukino?" she called out.

Everyone then looked towards Harusuke's desk and was surprised to see that Harusuke's desk was empty. At that moment, the door to the classroom flung open, and the boy in question came in.

"M-Ms. Haruna, I'm here..." he gasped. "I... woke up late and... I apologize."

Ms. Haruna and the class all turned towards Harusuke, completely shocked and dumbfounded. Then Naru's face turned white as a sheet.

"No! It can't be! Harusuke's late?!" Naru cried.

"Please tell me that this is some kind of joke!" Umino gasped, who was just as horrified. "If Harusuke's late, then does this mean that the apocalypse is coming?!"

"Calm down, Umino. I just woke up late," Harusuke spoke, feeling annoyed. "It happens to everyone, including me."

"Well... I suppose - I can overlook this since this is your first time, Harusuke," said Ms. Haruna. "But try not to let it happen again, OK?"

"Yes, Ms. Haruna," said Harusuke bowing respectfully.

As Harusuke took his seat, Naru and Umino whispered to Usagi.

"Hey, Usagi. Do you know what's going on with Harusuke?" Naru asked.

"Yeah! This isn't like him at all," agreed Umino. "Usually, you're the one who's late."

"W-Well..." said Usagi choosing her words carefully. "I... don't know. Maybe he's having an off day?"

Usagi very much knew the reason for Harusuke's behavior, but what else could she say? She couldn't tell her friends that her brother got backstabbed by a member of the Four Kings of Heaven that was cross-dressing as a girl.

The class then began, and Ms. Haruna began writing some problems on the board. Usagi looked back and could see that Harusuke wasn't focusing. Instead, he just stared at the paper on his desk, holding his pencil, lost in thought, wearing a sad look on his face. As much as she wanted to reassure him that he would be OK, Usagi knew that she couldn't at the moment, so she turned back towards Ms. Haruna as the class continued.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

In the Dark Kingdom, Queen Beryl, standing before Queen Metalia, could again feel the scar on her chest burn even more than usual. Even though she was a powerful being, she couldn't help but hold her chest in agony as she panted, trying to bear the pain.