Chapter 104

It was after school at the Shiba Park Middle School. Minako was packing up her things, getting ready to go home for the day. As she did, two of her classmates talked to one another, a boy and a girl.

"You want us to get matching outfits?" the boy asked the girl.

"Yeah. I think it would be cute," the girl said brightly while holding the boy's hands. "That store in Shibuya had some nice ones."

"Yeah, but don't you think that the idea is a bit tacky?" the boy asked doubtfully.

"Yeah, it's very tacky," Minako thought to herself.

"Come on, it's just one outfit," the girl begged pleadingly. "Pretty please?"

The boy then conceded. "Oh, all right. Just this one," he said. "It'll be a memento of our time together in middle school."

A sour and irritated look crossed Minako's face as she slammed her bag shut.

"If you're already looking for a memento, you won't be together for long!" Minako mentally screamed. "Ugh! Boys are such pushovers! This is nauseating!"

And not wanting to stick around any longer, Minako promptly left the classroom.

After she had changed her shoes, Minako headed out of school to walk to Rei's place for their regular study session. But as she made her way out, lots of other couples from her school passed by her being as lovey-dovey as can be.

At this point, Minako felt so fed up that she felt like cursing the world for surrounding her with couples. "Well, whoop-de-doo, aren't you cute couples!" she snapped crossly. "We get how much you love each other, so stop showing off already!"

Just then, Artemis appeared, landing in front of her. "Minako, we've just finished inputting all the data we have so far about the Daimons, but we still have no idea what we're up against," the white cat said. "All we know about them thus far is that this strange lifeform that combines with objects and people produce Daimons, yet we don't know where they're coming from. What we lack the most right now is information. Reliable information."

Minako, not paying attention and unmoved, was lamenting to herself rather than paying attention. "Here I am in my final year of middle school, and all of a sudden, I'm having doubts about my life. However, I lack something I can't live without, and that's love! After all, "When you stare at love, the love also stares back at you." Although, I don't remember which philosopher said that."

"Minako, nobody has ever said that," said Artemis.

Minako still wasn't listening as she began to lament even more, dramatically posing as she did, pretending to be a boy.

"Why can't a wonderful boy with a bouquet of roses come up to me and ask, "May I ask, would you consider being my date tonight?" I mean, seriously, why can't something like that happen? Or rather, when? When will that magical moment happen to me?! I deserve it, don't I?"

"I don't see that happening," Artemis thought to himself.

Then, a volleyball came bouncing out of the gym, coming to a stop against Minako's foot. As Minako picked up the ball, another classmate of hers came out. He was a young boy with tan skin and short black hair wearing a school gym uniform.

Minako then smiled, knowing who it was. "Oh, hey, Asai," she greeted. "I take it this is yours?"

"Hey there, Aino," Asai greeted back. "Yes, it is. Mind sending it here?"

Minako smiled, and with a small bop with her hand, she sent the ball towards Asai, allowing him to catch it.

"So, I see you're still with the volleyball team," said Minako. "You working hard?"