Chapter 31

In the Dark Kingdom, Zoisite spoke to Kunzite about the other day.

"So you're telling me that Solaris used one of Nephrite's techniques during battle?" he asked.

"Yes. I saw it with my very own two eyes," said Zoisite. "I still can't believe it. A mere mortal like him has the power of the Four Kings of Heaven. What should we do, Zoisite?"

Kunzite hummed in thought, putting a finger to his chin. "Well... there's nothing we can do about it for now," he said. "Besides, Nephrite was a traitor and should never be mentioned. Especially around Queen Beryl."

"But why? If this becomes a problem, Queen Beryl might not be happy about this," said Zoisite worriedly.

"Don't worry. If this becomes a threat, we'll deal with it when the time comes, my love," said Kunzite. "For now, focus on getting the Rainbow Crystals while I do a little digging."

And with that, Kunzite left. Zoisite then took out the Dark Crystal and activated its powers to reveal the next carrier. The crystal glowed and then showed a projection of a little old man who was bald, short, and had long bushy gray eyebrows. This person was Rei's Grandfather.

"So this old man has a Rainbow Crystal, eh?" smirked Zoisite. "That crystal will soon be mine before he knows it, and I'll make sure that no one stands in my way. Not even Solaris and his stolen techniques!"

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

It was nightfall at the Hikawa Shrine. The moon was high in the sky, and all was peaceful. Rei's Grandpa was sitting on top of the shrine's roof, enjoying the beautiful sight of the night.

"What a beautiful night," he mused to himself. "It would be even better if I had some dumplings and a cup of sake. Ooh, I'll bet it would taste great!"

Then came trouble. Up from above, under the night of the moon, in a flurry of petals appeared Zoisite. Rei's Grandpa immediately was on guard.

"I sense evil!" he spoke. "Who are you?!"

Zoisite smirked and took out the Dark Crystal, activating its function. Rei's Grandpa was bathed in its light as he felt pain throughout his body, screaming in agony. A spatial hole then opened up in the middle of his chest, and Zoisite could see an indigo-colored crystal inside it.

"Just as I suspected," he cackled with triumph. "This old man is one of the Seven Great Monsters!" He then hovered a bit closer to him. "Now, Old Man, allow me to remove the Rainbow Crystal from your body as you are reborn as your monstrous self, Jiji!"

Rei's Grandpa screamed even more as he felt his reason slipping more and more. However, he wasn't going down without fighting. So, while resisting the pain and using his spiritual powers, the old man canceled out the power of the Dark Crystal. Zoisite got blown back as he felt the blast of energy, but he quickly recollected himself. The void in the center of the old man's chest also closed up, hiding the Rainbow Crystal from view.

"Impossible! You were able to resist the Dark Crystal?!" he growled crossly and with surprise. "I thought that you were nothing more but a senile old man... but it would seem that I was mistaken!"

Zoisite then counterattacked with a force of energy on his own, sending Rei's Grandpa right off the roof and onto the ground with a thud. Zoisite then once again prepared to use the Dark Crystal, but then two crows shot out from inside the shrine, gunning straight for him. They screeched and cawed as they used their sharp beaks to peck at the Dark General, protecting the old man from harm.