Chapter 80

The UFO was now thousands of feet high above, in the outreaches of space. Rubeus watched over Juuban via a mirror in the main room, waiting for the appointed time he set to come, feeling confident that he would succeed. Just then, Emerald's laughter echoed through the room as she appeared just behind him.

"Rubeus, why are you idly standing around, waiting?" asked Esmeraude. "You should have gotten rid of Sailor Moon, Solaris, and the Rabbit when you had a chance."

"Someone such as yourself wouldn't understand," Rubeus huffed. "It wouldn't be enough for me if I had just killed them outright. So, I want to savor every moment of eliminating them by making them suffer!"

"Oh? Is that so?" Esmeraude questioned. "And how will you do that?"

Rubeus then raised his hand, and four crosses made of crystal appeared just behind the circle of mirrors. On the crosses were Sailor Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, and Venus, unconscious and unable to move.

"Now that I have these Guardians as hostages, Sailor Moon and Solaris are demoralized," Rubeus explained. "They'll come to get them back, and when they do, I will slowly and painfully kill them right before their eyes."

"Well, I hope for your sake it all goes according to plan," Esmeraude said. "Otherwise, this could be your last chance to please Prince Demande. I pray for your success, Rubeus."

And Esmeraude teleported away, leaving Rubeus alone.

"Oh, yes. Make sure you watch me, Esmeraude," Rubeus spoke to himself. "I'll show you just how powerful and ruthless I can be! And thanks to Wiseman's prediction, I can't lose; victory is well within my grasp!"

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

At Mamoru's apartment, Chibiusa stood alone outside the complex's roof, feeling very remorseful. Then Mamoru came up, joining her, his expression neutral.

"Chibiusa? Did you return the brooch to Usako?" Mamoru asked.

Chibiusa nodded as she took out her key from her shirt. "Why didn't it work the way it was supposed to?" she wondered.

"If it did, you would have taken the Silver Crystal with you when you went back to the future," Mamoru said. "That about right?"

Chibiusa looked up, surprised that Mamoru hit the nail on the head, while he stared at Chibiusa firmly.

"Chibiusa, I want us to stop keeping secrets," Mamoru spoke quietly. "What exactly were you planning to do with the Silver Crystal when you got it back home?"

"It's for my Mommy," said Chibiusa. "I need the Silver Crystal to rescue her from those bad people."

Mamoru then got down on his knees and held Chibiusa by her shoulders, trying his best not to yell. "Please, Chibiusa, tell me. Tell me anything that you can remember. What happens in the future?"

"I don't know," Chibiusa spoke as she remembered, tears beginning to build up in her eyes. "These people just showed up from out of nowhere..."

All Mamoru could do was stay silent as Chibiusa began to sob quietly.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Inside Mamoru's apartment, the Tsukino siblings and Luna and Artemis were in the living room anxiously biding their time. Usagi was sitting on the couch, staring at her brooch, Harusuke was standing by the window staring outside, Luna and Artemis were watching the news about the UFO.