Chapter 119

In the lab, Tellu, Viluy, and Cyprine gathered per Tomoe's request as he and Mimete stood before them, giving a demonstration and lecture about their latest plan. A small tank with a ball with a pure heart crystal image was between them, while Tomoe controlled four bird-like puppets that floated about on top of the water.

"Now, I want you to pay very close attention," said Tomoe as he controlled the puppets. "Watch as the cormorant dives under the water to catch its prey."

With a flick of his fingers, he made the four birds dive below the water and fight to get their beaks on the ball. Eventually, one of them managed to grab the ball in its beak and swallow it in seconds. Tomoe then made the birds come back to the surface, took the puppet with the ball, and squeezed its throat, popping out.

"As you have witnessed, the cormorant instinctively stored its catch in its throat using its instinct to its advantage," explained Tomoe. "This will be the model for our future efforts to steal pure hearts. We'll begin by releasing a Daimon near the target that might possess a talisman and then have it swallow the pure heart. Once that is done, and it returns to the lab, I will have it cough it back up, a safe and reliable method if I do say so myself."

"Well, that is a pretty good idea, Tomoe, but there's one problem," said Tellu. "What about those Guardians? They're just going to get in the way again, and they'll destroy the Daimon before it has a chance to get a pure heart."

"That is a valid point, Tellu," said Tomoe. "But recently, we have discovered a countermeasure for dealing with their interference. Care to explain, Mimete?"

"With pleasure," smiled Mimete. "As you're all well or may not be aware, I've been doing some experiments by forcing some of the defect Daimons to fight the Guardians. While they fended them off, even they had a bit of trouble defeating them. That was when I had an idea."

She then waved her wand, and two projections appeared, one of them a white Daimon Egg and the other being black.

"As you can see, the white egg is the one that Tomoe usually makes for our missions, and the other is the defect," said Mimete. "Usually Tomoe's are the ones that produce a good Daimon, but the defects are the ones that have a habit of going wild turning into monstrous creatures. That was when I had an idea. What if we took the characteristics of the defects and then added them to Tomoe's creations?"

The two projections then merged, forming a brand new Daimon Egg.

"Do you mean combing the two Daimon Eggs?" wondered Viluy.

"Precisely!" Tomoe spoke with excitement. "When she proposed the idea to me, I had a hard time believing my ears myself. However, the idea has merit, so I've created the ultimate Daimon that not even the Guardians will be able to stop!"

Tomoe walked to the side of the table where an oven-like device sat with its door open and a handgun inside it. As he did with his other concoctions, he put a pink liquid with an embryo into a beaker. Then, he poured a mysterious black substance into it, making it start to pulse and glow. The cup exploded with a shatter, and a large Daimon Egg colored a gradient of black and white appeared.

Tomoe placed the newly formed egg into the oven with the gun, and the door slammed shut by itself. Then, it began to whine as its insides glowed and sparked with tiny beams of light emitting from it. Finally, the noise and glowing stopped, and the oven let out a giant cloud of pink smoke that turned into the shape of a cormorant spreading its wings while letting out a caw. Then, it reopened, showing the Daimon Egg inside, but the handgun was no longer there.

"What happened to the gun?" asked Cyrpine. "Did it fuse into the Egg?"

Tomoe throatily cackled in delight as the Daimon Egg hovered over to his hands. "Yes, this is my greatest creation yet! With this new Daimon Egg, not even those lousy Guardians have a chance!" He turned to Mimete as he threw the egg over to her. "I trust that you will use this to find the last talisman?"