Chapter 74

It was nighttime in the Tsukino household. Usagi was reading Chibiusa a bedtime story, which just so happened to be Sleeping Beauty, while Chibiusa, Harusuke, and Luna listened.

"Then the handsome prince arrived at the thorn castle where he found the beautiful princess fast asleep from the witch's evil curse," Usagi read. "So, he gave the princess a loving kiss, and she finally awoke."

"How boring," mumbled Chibiusa sleepily.

"What are you talking about? This part is the best part of the story," Usagi said.

"I already know that fairy tale," Chibiusa said, yawning. "I've heard it at least a dozen times."

"Aw, come on. Don't be like that, Chibiusa," Harusuke. "Usagi just thought that if she read it, you'd like to hear it again; after all, she's doing this for you." He then turned to his sister. "Go on, Usagi. Finish up the story."

Usagi then turned back to the book. "The princess was awakened by her true love, much to the prince's surprise, and so, together, they lived happily ever after. The End." Usagi then shut the book in her hands and wistfully sighed as she held the book to her chest. "Ah, wasn't that romantic, you guys?"

"I suppose so, Sis," chuckled Harusuke. "Then again, Mom used to read to us the story of Sleeping Beauty dozens of times, so it does get old at times."

"Harusuke, don't be such a downer," Usagi scolded. "Besides, Sleeping Beauty is one of the most romantic stories ever! Don't you agree, Chibiusa?"

But the ordango pinkette didn't reply. Usagi and Harusuke then looked to see that Chibiusa had fallen fast asleep.

Usagi felt a bit annoyed. "Aw, come on, Chibiusa! It's not that boring!"

"Usagi, just let her sleep for now," shushed Luna. "After all, she needs it after everything she's gone through so far. The poor girl's probably thinking about her mother, who was taken captive in the future."

"Yeah. Anyone would have a hard time coping with something that terrible," agreed Harusuke. "Especially since she's so little."

"I just wish that there was some way that we could help her," Usagi said quietly.

"The only thing that we can do for now is to watch over and protect her," Harusuke said, holding up his fist. "And since I'm back in the fight, you can count on me to help protect her."

Usagi and Luna smiled as each answered with a nod. Then everyone went into their respective beds and went to bed to get some sleep.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

He was once again dreaming.

He could see himself in a white tuxedo suit and Usagi in a beautiful white wedding gown with flowers in her hair. The two of them danced around in a waltz, both of them having the time of their lives.

"Isn't this wonderful, Mamo?" Usagi asked, her face filled with bliss. "We're finally married."

Mamoru answered with a nod, and he and Usagi shared a tender and loving kiss. The moment he did, as he pulled away, he could see Usagi now wearing a sorrowful frown on her face. Her outfit had also changed into her princess gown as she turned into Princess Serenity. At the same time, there was a massive explosion, the ground ripping apart and the world crumbling around the princess.

"Usako! NOOO!" Mamoru cried as he desperately reached out to try and save her.

But it was too late, for Princess Serenity had disappeared amid the crumbling rock as everything went dark. Mamoru sank to his fours, pounding his fist into the ground in despair as he felt his eyes burn with tears. Then a mysterious voice boomed throughout the space around him.