Chapter 143

It was a rainy day in the Juuban household.

Usagi was walking down the stairs when she smelled something. The sweet scent of lemon.

"Oh, wow! I know that smell!" she cried.

She then rushed into the kitchen and, sure enough, on the table counter, she saw a plate of freshly made pie, which made her stomach growl with hunger.

"Oh, wow! That's Mom's famous homemade lemon meringue pie!"

She reached out to get herself a slice when Ikuko suddenly appeared, bopping Usagi's hand with a spoon, which made her yelp.

"Usagi, don't even think about eating that pie!" she said sternly. "It's something I made for everyone to share, so you'll have to wait until they get home."

"Aw, Mom," pouted Usagi. "I'm sure one little slice wouldn't hurt."

"Not when it comes to you, Usagi," said Ikuko. "If I let you have "one little slice," there would be nothing left but the crumbs."

Usagi couldn't even protest, knowing that her mom was right.

Then, Chibiusa and Shingo came into the kitchen and saw the pie.

"Oh, wow! Mom's lemon pie!" cried Chibiusa. "Is that for us?"

"Yes, it is," smiled Ikuko. "You both can have a slice just as soon as Harusuke gets home."

"All right!" said Shingo eagerly. But then, he realized something. "Wait, isn't Harusuke over at the gym right now?"

"Yeah, but he should be home in a few minutes," said Usagi. "He usually likes to say there for an hour or so at this time."

At that moment, the front door opened, and they heard Harusuke.

"I'm home."

Harusuke then walked past the kitchen, about to head upstairs.

"Hey, Harusuke. Mom made her lemon pie for us!" said Shingo. "You want a slice?"

"No, thank you," replied Harusuke. "I'm not feeling hungry at the moment. Plus, I'm trying to watch my junk food intake."

"Come on, Harusuke. You know you want to," Usagi teased. "Not even you can resist the charm of Mom's pie."

Harusuke was about to object, but then his stomach let out a tiny growl making his cheeks red.

"All right, you got me," he conceded. "I'll have one little slice."

Ikuko soon passed around the slices, and Tsukino siblings were munching on them happily.

"Man! Mom! How do you do it?!" Chibiusa hummed in delight. "You always make the best pies!"

"It's nothing special," smiled Ikuko. "Just the same recipe I always use. With a secret ingredient."

"What is the secret ingredient, Mommy Ikuko?" asked Chibiusa. "Is it some kind of spice?"

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a secret, now would it?" said Ikuko. "Maybe one day, I'll tell you."

Then, Ikuko noticed Harusuke was eating a bit slower than the others. "Harusuke, is something wrong?" she asked.

Harusuke looked up. "Oh! No, nothing's wrong, Mom. I'm fine," he replied. "I'm just a bit tired, is all."

Ikuko didn't seem so sure while Usagi and Chibiusa kept silent.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃