Chapter 101

Usagi, Harusuke, and Makoto walked home after school, heading for Rei's place for another study session.

Usagi, as usual, couldn't help but complain as her tummy let out a slight growl. "Man, I'm so hungry. How am I going to get through tonight's study session?"

"By toughing it out and waiting for us to get Rei's place?" Harusuke spoke.

"Don't worry about it, Usagi," smiled Makoto. "I'm making roast-beef sandwiches for tonight's get-together, so you won't have to wait long."

Usagi's eyes sparkled. "Mako, you're the best!" she said happily. "You know, we lucked out having a friend with a natural cooking talent like you."

Makoto smiled, but there was a hint of sadness behind it. "My cooking isn't all that natural or anything like that," she said. "The truth is, I've always felt insecure about my girlish side of me, so I learned how to cook to build my confidence. That's why I work so hard at it. I mean, who would want a girl that's big, tomboyish, and knows how to punch people?"

"Mako, even if you didn't know how to cook, you still got a lot of things going for you," said Harusuke. "You're one of the coolest and cutest girls I've ever known, and you're girlish in your way."

"Harusuke's right," chimed in Usagi. "When we first met you, I thought, "Wow, she's one of the prettiest girls I've ever seen in my life!"

"OK, now you two are going overboard," Mako laughed, blushing a little. "But if you two keep complimenting me, I'll make you both double-decker sandwiches."

"All right!" cheered Usagi. "You're the best, Mako!"

Harusuke sighed. "Good grief, Sis. Can't you at least try to make it seem like you weren't bribing Mako?"

Then, the three came to a crosswalk and were just walking across to get to the other side when there was a roaring engine. The next thing the three knew, a motorcycle came shooting out from around the corner and was heading straight in the group's direction.

"Watch out!" Makoto yelled as she dove straight into the two Tsukino siblings tackling them to the ground.

The driver seeing the three at the last second braked hard and stopped just in time. Luckily, no one was hurt. Makoto then looked up in time to see the driver take off her helmet, revealing herself to be Haruka.

"I'm so sorry! Are you guys, OK?!" Haruka asked. "Are you injured?! Does anything hurt?!"

Usagi winced as she got up. "Oh, Haruka, it's you," she mumbled. "Should have guessed."

"Bun-head! Harusuke!" Haruka gasped. "Are you two alright?"

"Don't worry about it, Haruka. We're fine," reassured Harusuke. "Just got a little spooked, is all."

"What about you, Mako?" Usagi asked her friend. "Are you -"

Then, the Tsukino siblings saw Mako. The brunette's cheeks had taken a slight tinge of pink and her eyes filled with admiration and amazement.

Haruka then gasped when she saw Mako. "Hey! You're bleeding, you know!"

Mako snapped out of her daze and looked at her hand, noticing that she had a bit of road rash on it. "O-Oh. I guess you're right," she mumbled. "I didn't realize it until now."

"I'm so sorry! I feel terrible!" Haruka spoke remorsefully. "Let me help you!"

The woman then took off the scarf around her neck and began tying it around Makoto's injured hand, much to her and the Tsukino sibling's surprise.

"Y-You don't have to do that, Haruka!" Makoto protested. "It's just a scratch. Besides, you'll get your scarf all bloody!"

"Don't worry about it," insisted Haruka. "There's no excuse for what I did. I had something on my mind, and I wasn't paying attention." She looked into Makoto's eyes. "You were brave to risk your life to protect your friends. You didn't even hesitate."