71. You're All Grown Up/Dropping You Off At College - Calum

Part 1/4

...
Requested by:
Anonymous
...

Dropping you off at college/chilling the night before you are dropped off is really the same thing.

We're back to the classic overprotective older brother

When you think you've started a chapter, you open it up, and all it says is "Alaska"

Calum:
It you were gearing up for a momentous occasion. You were entering a new phase of your life and you were super excited. It was time for you to move out of Calum's home and start college. You weren't even going that far away, to the closest possible university only about a half hour from home, but Calum was acting like you were dying.

He had spent the entire last month in a total funk. He would burst into tears that the smallest thing and then explain that it was because it was, "the last time he'd ever do it." You caught him crying into his bowl of cereal the other day and had to refrain from laughing because he most definitely would still be eating cornflakes even if you weren't living there.

Even now as you packed your clothes you could hear his sniffling from the bedroom next door. Sighing, you put down your sweater and got up. This was pitiful, you had to cheer Calum up or something because you didn't want him to be so upset all the time. It wasn't healthy.

So you walked across the hall and knocked lightly on his door, "Calum?" You asked softly.

His sniffling died down and you heard some shuffling. There were soft footsteps and Calum pulled the door open. He was wearing Thomas The Train pajamas that were a tad small, and clutching a stuffed bear to his chest. His face was flushed and had fresh tear tracks cutting lines into his cheeks. He sniffled a little when he saw you and you watched as his eyes again filled with tears.

"Oh Calum," you groaned, pulling your older brother into a hug, "why are you crying?"

Calum latched his much larger frame to yours and leaned on you heavily as he began crying into your shoulder.

"Shhhhhhhh," you rubbed down his back comfortingly, "I'm still here," you reminded him.

He gradually stopped crying, and you felt him hiccup as he tried to catch his breath. You kept talking, "and I won't be that far away, I can come back on weekends, breaks, even some weeknights. Plus after freshman year when we aren't required to room on campus I could move back," you promised.

He took in a deep, but shaky, breath, "I know, it's just, it'll be all so different."

"Nothing stays the same forever," you reminded him.

"Just yesterday you were five I swear," he stopped leaning on you and instead pulled you into his chest.

"Hmmm considering I'm eighteen today that seems a little off," you gasped as he squeezed you a little too tight.

"Don't remind me," he groaned, "eighteen, that doesn't seem right at all."

While he was reminiscing you were just trying to breathe. He had a tight grip that was literally squeezing the air from your lungs.

"Calum... air..." you finally managed to whisper.

"Oh my God," he let go of you and stepped back, "are you okay Y/N?"