86. You're A First Responder - Ashton

Part 2/4

...
Requested by:
Doodle5sos
...

Public school is trash tbh y'all someone shît in the back of my bus and it stunk like manure. Wtf were they eating? Grass?!

The beginning of this one is also inspired by my school bc some dumbass put a bottle cap in his mouth and choked fml

Ashton:
"Next time maybe leave the cap on the bottle," you chuckled a little while your partner pulled into the hospital.

"I've learned my lesson," he rasped out, voice hoarse from the stress his throat had been put under when a foreign object was lodged inside.

"Is he going to be okay?" His mother sighed, looking at her teenage son with an unchecked amount of disappointment and embarrassment. You felt for her, she had to drop whatever she was doing and rush to the school because her child, a teenager nonetheless, had been chewing on the cap to his water bottle and ended up choking. The teacher had proceeded with the Heimlich maneuver and the kid had spit out the cap, but the school had still called 911 and now he was going to the hospital.

"I'll look, but he should be fine," you reached over and pulled one some blue latex examination gloves, snapping them against your wrist as they adhered to your hands. The boy gulped while you grabbed one of the little penlights used for looking down throats, and a tongue depressor. "Open up," you smiled at him and clicked the light on.

He unsurely opened his mouth, and you walked a little closer, "stick your tongue out and say ahhhhh," you instructed.

He did as you asked and stuck his tongue out, "ahhhhh."

You shined the light down his throat and moved it back and forth, checking the back of his throat for any abrasions.

You leaned back after a minute and turned the light off, "his throat looks a little swollen and irritated, but that's to be expected and it'll go down quickly."

She nodded and tiredly rubbed her temples, "no more water bottles with caps for you."

"Moooom," he whined, pouting a little.

Just then you came to a stop at the ambulance entrance to the hospital.

"Lay back," you instructed the boy, and he obliged, making himself comfortable on the gurney.

Your partner Supriya parked the ambulance and rounded the back, opening the doors while you secured the patient in place. You rolled him out and down, his mother following behind you.

You and Supriya took him back into the entrance and waited until he was checked in. It was very likely that he would be out within the hour, as soon as a doctor gave him the okay. As soon as you got your gurney back, the two of you were back in the front of the ambulance, ready to take another call.

"Well wasn't that fun," you said sarcastically from the passengers seat while Supriya started the vehicle and pulled out of the emergency area.

"It was stupidity is what it was," she tapped her fingers against the wheel in irritation.

"He was just a kid, adolescents brains aren't fully developed until-"

"Yeah yeah I know, but you'd think he'd have enough common sense to know that it's a bad idea to stick a bottle cap in his mouth. It's not like he was teething or anything," she rolled her eyes and merged back into traffic.

"Yeah well, underdeveloped frontal lobes make you do crazy things," you whistled and leaned down to turn on some quiet music while you waited for the next call.