Part One: Chapter 1: Home

"Where were you?! It's two am!!" Shout a wife at her husband who stumbled in, yet again, quite drunk. He does this most nights, but the wife is angry because she is sober. Her drug of choice being crack cocaine. She wasn't successful in procuring any for herself on this particular evening.

She tries to grab his arm but he jerks away with a hiss, "Get the fuck off me Valorie! You've probably been up freebasing all night!"

The wife steps back because she knows that look in her husband's eyes. It scares her. It was the look he always got just before he became physical with her. Another thing that almost occurs nightly. He goes to the kitchen and she follows from a safe distance, still questioning him about his whereabouts. Maybe it was envy because he wasn't sober, or perhaps it was jealousy that she was sober and he wasn't.

"Why do you keep doing this James?" Valorie sighs.

James goes to the refrigerator and pulls out a beer. "Oh shut up with that shit you whore! Who the fuck did you have over while I was gone?! Who'd you let fuck you for dope?!" He turns to glare at her.

"No one! I'm not high James!" She shouts at him. But James can't believe her. He's caught her in far too many lies. He has even caught her in another man's bed before. Why would he trust her?

Then he takes a step towards her. Anger fills him as he thinks of how he can't trust her and assumes she's probably lying. She takes a step back knowing that he was going to hit her. Her brain started thinking fast about defending herself. She quickly reaches over to the counter and grabs a knife and brandishes It out toward him. James doesn't like this. Not. One. Bit.

Unbeknownst to the fighting couple, in a room just a few doors away, their young son is awakened in his bed by the yelling.

The child is mostly unalarmed, as this happens at least five nights a week

The child is mostly unalarmed, as this happens at least five nights a week. He simply buries his head under a pillow and tries to sleep through the commotion. But his mother's screams draw him from his bed. Funny isn't it, that people always want to see tragic things? Just chock it up to human nature.

His small feet hit the cold floor and he walks into the hallway. There he catches a glimpse of his father backhanding his mother. His mouth parts to speak but his father sees him and the child quickly closes his mouth. He was definitely fearful of his father. The man was a fiend when he drank, and he always drinks.

"Why the long face Jack?" His father asks then gives a diabolical laugh. Jack feared that laugh. Bad things always happened when his father laughed that way. Just last year Jack's arm was broken by his father as that laugh happened. "Come here boy," his father motions him into the kitchen.

Jack is scared but forces his feet forward. He knows better than to disobey. His father pulls out a chair and smirks to the child who uneasily sits. Then James pulls out another chair. He jerks Valerie from the floor where she is cowered and crying. He pushes her down in the chair next to Jack. Little Jack looks at his mother's red cheek and crying eyes. He used to feel bad for her, but where there was once empathy, now only ambivalence remained. Jack wasn't close to her at all, in his eyes she wasn't any better than his father, she just couldn't hit as hard.