Rocky Roads

January 2nd, 2019, 6:24 AM

"Darling, are you sure you're alright?" Mettaton asked as they entered the hotel. "I'm fine! Stop asking me if I'm okay! That's literally the dumbest question in the universe!" Mettaton wasn't convinced. She seemed to be limping, she woke up earlier and took longer than usual to get ready. He had to keep a sharp eye on her to find out what was wrong. There she was, in the dining room. Oh no, she was on a stepladder. The slightest move could lead to trouble. "May, get down from there!" Mettaton ran over immediately. "I told you! I'm fine!" She reached for a roll of ribbon. "Damnit! Wrong color!" She stepped down with one foot and winced at a sharp pain in the other, causing her to slip. Milliseconds before disaster would strike, Mettaton dashed right up to the front of the stepladder, catching May in his arms. "Are you okay darling?" May didn't reply. Mettaton set her down on one of the tables and examined the source of the problem. May groaned in pain as the boot was slid off of her foot. "May darling, why didn't you tell me you were hurt?" Tears filled her eyes. "I thought you'd get mad at me again! Last night, I,"

May felt maybe she should give stilettos another chance, so she snuck into Mettaton's closet and grabbed a pair. Sure, they were too big, but she could still make this work! She was used to the height, but not such thin support. It felt like she was walking on toothpicks! Unable to keep her balance, her right foot fell onto its side, the rest of her crashing down with it. Pain filled her ankle as she climbed onto the couch, throwing the stilettos underneath it. She hoped the pain would leave in the morning, hoped she would eventually forget about this and most importantly, hoped that Mettaton would never find out.

"You could've just asked. I would've gladly helped you out," Mettaton picked May back up. "Come on. Let's get that ankle looked at," He carried her over to the car and drove to Dr. Alphys. Not the hospital, but her house, since she was one of the best doctors in town, and they knew each other quite well. He opened the shotgun door, unbuckled May, and carried her inside. "Oh, hi M-Mettaton. What brings you h-here?" Alphys asked when she opened the door. Mettaton walked in and set May down on the table. "Someone tried to walk in my shoes, literally," he explained. "Yeah, I stood on toothpicks, and hurt my ankle, but it's fine now and I should get back to work!" May sat up and tried to get off the table. "Absolutely not. You're not in working condition right now, and we need to fix you up," Mettaton picked her up and returned her to her original position. Alphys walked up to them and examined May's ankle. "I-it doesn't look too bad. Just s-stay off of it for a few days," May nodded. "Alright. Thank you Dr. Alphys. How can I repay you?" Mettaton asked as he picked May back up. "Well, here are a few th-things you can start with," Alphys tossed him a rolled up piece of paper. May picked it up and looked at some of the things Alphys wrote on it. Seeing all the ridiculous stuff, she burst into laughter. "What?" Mettaton set May back down and grabbed the list "What is she making me do?" May laughed even harder when she saw his reaction. "I can help you out with a few of those things," she managed to say while laughing.

6:38 AM

Afraid Mettaton would blow a fuse again, May began hopping home. She reached the end of the block. Following basic road safety procedures, she looked all 3 ways and stepped into the road. Once she was across, a pencil gray van she knew all too well pulled up to her and rolled down the window. May opened the door and climbed in. "You forgot something," Mettaton handed May her other boot. "Thanks," May replied quietly as she slid it back onto her foot. "Why didn't you just ask me to show you how to walk in stilettos? I would've gotten some in your size, held onto you and everything!" May looked down. "Because," she hesitated. "It's embarrassing that my boyfriend can walk in heels better than I can! Even if he does like a lot of women stuff," she confessed with a pout. "Crossdressing tin can," she muttered. "I heard that," "Hey, you called me a-" Mettaton covered May's mouth with his hand. "I was upset, and I didn't realize how big of a mistake that was until it slipped out of my mouth. And that doesn't make it okay to call me names," The rest of the car ride was silent.