Auditions

May 9th, 2:18 PM

"Come on! The doors for auditions close at 2:30! We're gonna be late!" Maddie called out to the other squad members. Wait, why was she waiting when she could just go? "Screw waiting, I'll just meet them there!" She sprinted to the cafeteria. April saw the other squad members follow, but before auditions, there was something she had to do. She knew Papyrus would be one of the judges, he should pull up any second. She saw the red mustang park across the street and took a deep breath. "Here goes nothing," she had the music ready and hit play. Papyrus knew that voice anywhere. It was April. The song took him back to the few but very special romantic moments they had. Before the dance, when they had seen each other in their outfits. Shortly after they had met, he had heard April muttering to herself in Spanish, and he offered her a rose, telling her she was so beautiful it was jealous, after that they just exchanged Spanish pickup lines for what was probably half an hour. "Nada que decir, eclipse total de amor," the music faded out, and Papyrus walked up to her. "Amor, ¿Puedes perdonarme?" She broke into a smile and pulled him into a hug. "Si! Si, si si si! Ay, Dios Mio, te extrañé tanto!"

2:29 PM

The lights were out, auditions were being held on the stage, with black curtains cutting it off from the rest of the cafeteria. The judges were at a table placed center stage left, everyone waiting to audition was in the hall leading to it.

2:31 PM

"Cleo Anderson," Mettaton called out. Cleo walked into the room with a guitar. It had been a while since she had played it. Seeing no chairs in the room, she decided to sit on the floor, easier said than done. Her thighs were getting much better, but she still had trouble bending down and stuff like that and she could barely run. Once she was cross-legged on the floor with the guitar in her lap, she began playing. It was a slow song. "It was always you, falling for me now there's always time, calling for me, I'm the light, blinking at the end of the road, blink back to let me know," It was both sweet and depressing. "Lonely, lonely little life, I could kid myself, in thinking that I'm fine," She sang in a casual yet pleading tone as if she was quietly calling for help. "That I'm skin on bone, just a king and rusty throne, oh, the castle's under siege, but the sign outside says leave me alone," It was so tragic, Cleo was such a good person, she deserved to be happy. "Thank you for that tragic yet beautiful piece Cleo," Other than struggling to sit down and needing help to get up, Cleo felt the audition went pretty well.

2:34 PM

"Ari Osmond," May wished her good luck as she stepped onto the stage. "Are you, are you, coming to the tree? Where they strung up a man, they say who murdered three?" Mettaton suspected May had something to do with Ari's song choice. She was telling him about how Ethan and Ari reminded her of Annie and Finnick. "Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be, if we met, at midnight in the hanging tree," The way she sang reminded him of his special one. "Thank you for that Ari," She walked out. "May the odds be ever in your favor,"

2:37 PM

"Maddie Anderson," She pumped her fist and jogged right in. "Alright, let's do this!" She backflipped and plugged her phone into the speaker. "Someone's excited," The music began. She sang in a beautiful, sweet, high voice. "And I discovered that my castle stands, upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand," Her dance routine was both peaceful and energetic, with lots of gymnastics moves, mostly flips, handsprings, and ariels. "For some reason, I can't explain, I know St. Peter will call my name, never an honest word, but that was when I ruled the world," She even took a bow when she finished. "Thank you, Maddie, very lovely," She collected her phone and did a tumble on her way out. "Show off," May teased.

2:41 PM

A cute looking couple May knew were up next. They were amazing. "You know I want you, it's not a secret I try to hide," It was the best couples dance May had ever seen. "No one can rewrite the stars, how can you say you'll be mine? Everything keeps us apart, I'm not the one you were meant to find," The judges had to be crazy if they didn't get in. "How do we rewrite the stars, say that the world could be ours tonight," They bowed and walked out. "That was so awesome. A million dreams, that's all it's gonna take," May told them.

2:43 PM

"April Thomas," she walked in and began the music right away. "Even if I try to push you out, will you return?" she sang in a causal yet pleading tone like Cleo and sweetly like Maddie. "Don't run away, just promise me you will stay, promise me you will stay," May was definitely not expecting that, well, she figured that everyone auditioning assumed that everyone else would sing something meaningful, no one wanted to be the only one singing a party song.

2:46 PM

"Grace Hilary," Everyone was surprised that the twins weren't performing together, but May figured they'd play songs with similar messages. "Thanks to you, now I get, what I want, since you've been gone," She wasn't even trying to sound good, she was focusing on going all out with her voice. "Shut your mouth, I just can't take it!" Her song choice must have been the result of another bad breakup. She walked away wiping off mascara streaks. You'd think they'd know to wear waterproof makeup by now. Oh well, the other squad members would take care of that.

2:49 PM

"Beverly Hilary," Like her twin, she chose a Kelly Clarkson song and sang it in the same way. "I want you to know, that it doesn't matter, where we take this road, someone's gotta go," the judges could hear Grace adding backup vocals from the other room, was that against the rules? "But I want you to move on, so I'm already gone," She left in the same fashion as her clone.

2:52 PM

Mettaton dreaded having to call in this next person, but he wasn't allowed any bias. "Bella Giambruno," May rolled her eyes. "More like Hella Damnbruno," Lucky for both of them, she picked a song that was nowhere near her range, and she sucked at dancing. "She's like, so whatever, and you can do, so much better, I think we should get together now, and that's what everyone's talking 'bout!" This was obviously another attempt to steal Mettaton from May. "So come over here, tell me what I wanna hear, better yeah, make your girlfriend disappear, I don't wanna hear you say her name ever again," May could see Mettaton with a "Make it end!" look on his face. Poor guy. "How much you wanna bet she doesn't get in?" May mouthed to the others.

2:54 PM

"Ellie," she had no last name, just Ellie, because she had no clue who her family was, and she wasn't interested in finding out. Unsurprisingly, she chose a song expressing her hatred towards men. May understood why, but not all men were bastards as Ellie had said many times, and she was not one to oppose swearing, but she hated when rude terms weren't being used correctly. "Yeah he'll leave you in the dust, 'cause when he says forever, well it don't mean much," She sang in a sweet, high tone like Maddie, but also focused on going all out like the twins. "He's no good, girl, no good for you, you better get your gettin' on your goodbye shoes,"

2:57 PM

"Ethan York," He probably chose the best possible song, May could never top that! "We were just kids when we fell in love, not knowing what it was," and he sang it so sweetly too. "Audition last, good idea May!" She was impressed by her...'friend'...if she could say that...she could've sworn friends were merely mythical creatures that everyone always talked about, but she never had one in her life! "Never met an angel, in person, and she looks perfect tonight," May felt hopeless, if she got in, it would only be because her boyfriend was one of the judges.

3:01 PM

"May Thomas," no one came in. "May?" still nothing. "Darling?" what was going on?

3:02 PM

"Are you insane?! How the f**k am I supposed to follow that?!" the others could sense a panic attack on the rise. "May, you got this!" "Everyone else could do it, so can you," "We're behind you all the way," Her breathing began to slow. "You're already here, there's no backing out," "May, you can either go up there and deal with the slight risk of not getting in, or you can bail and spend the rest of your life regretting that you didn't even try, what will it be?" Cleo gave both Ellie and April a look. "You two are not helping!" She turned to May and put her hands on her shoulders. "May, relax, deep breaths," May could feel herself loosen up. "That's it, now, go up there and blow us all away!" "Wait! What?" but May was already shoved onto the stage. No turning back now. "Here goes nothing," she thought as she hit play. "Step out, step out of the sun if you keep getting burned," by the time she reached the chorus, she had completely forgotten why she was scared. "Oh I, try to speak but nobody can hear, so I, wait around for an answer to appear while I'm watch-watch-watching people pass, waving through a window," By the time she reached the 3rd chorus, she was just throwing her voice out there, almost screaming, it was miraculous. "Can anybody see? Is anybody waving back at me? Is anybody wavin'? Wavin', wavin'?" She took a bow and walked out. That felt so good!