Chapter 1: Introduction

The date was August 19, 1992 in the busy streets of Liberty City. Carl Johnson, a 21-year-old African-American thug, crossed the street and got to a parked car, only to realize the door was locked.

"Damn!" he muttered. "Shit!"

So he took a furtive look around the street and crossed to get to a driver at a red light.

"Get out the car!" he demanded, pulling the driver out of the car. "Out, now!"

He hopped inside the vehicle and continued riding just as the light turned green. He pulled his cellphone out of his pocket to call his ally.

"Joey!" he answered. "Hey, wassup, man? It's CJ."

He stopped to listen to what Joey was telling him.

"Yeah. I hear you," CJ said. "I never knew my dad, but my brother used to make my life miserable."

He paused once again to listen to what Joey was telling him.

"Yeah, well, that's what family for," CJ said. "Anyway, I got that thing you wanted. Want me to shoot it by the garage?"

He paused to listen to Joey's answer.

"No, no," he answered. "I gotta get this thing off the street, man. It's way hot. All right, cool. Later."

His name was Carl Johnson, but everyone called him CJ. He wasn't exactly from Liberty City. He was from Los Santos, San Andreas. He grew up as a young gangbanger in his teen years with his older brother Sean, nicknamed Sweet, as the leader of the Grove Street Family gang. The gang was formed by Sweet in the 1980s, and Grove Street was at its height and power during the time against their rival gang the Ballas. CJ and Sweet, along with their younger sister Kendl and younger brother Brian, were raised by their single mother Beverly, whose husband left just shortly after Brian was born. Because her husband wasn't around that often, CJ never got a chance to actually know his father and was constantly pressured by Sweet to follow his orders as if HE was the father of the family, which only annoyed the three younger siblings. CJ still loved his brother though and looked up to him.

Then, in 1987, it happened. CJ and Brian had walked to the convenience store on Idlewood and were ambushed in a drive-by courtesy of the Ballas. Brian, unfortunately, was murdered, and Sweet and his buddies, who had just arrived, murdered the Ballas, except the driver, who sped away out of sight. After discovering Brian's death, Sweet blamed CJ for Brian's demise, which prompted CJ to finally leave Los Santos and run to Liberty City. Ever since then, he had met mechanic Joey Leone, who gave him a job to collect cars for his garage, quite enjoying himself since then.

Meanwhile, back in Los Santos, Sweet and his allies were playing craps on Ganton Street. His closest friend, Melvin Harris, nicknamed Big Smoke, was standing right next to him. Sweet was wearing a green Los Santos baseball cap, green T-shirt, baggy blue denim pants, and blue Chuck sneakers. His partner, Big Smoke, was a fat man wearing a black fedora hat, eye glasses with black frames, a green button-up shirt, baggy gray pants, and black shoes.

"Baby needs diapers!" Sweet said as he rolled the dice.

"Oh!" the other gang members cried out as the dice hit the ground, coming up as eight altogether.

"Shit!" Sweet muttered.

"Hey, fool," Big Smoke told Sweet. "We losing the streets, man!"

"Nah. We just standing by our principles, homie," Sweet claimed.

"But our principles are making us bitches, man," Smoke convinced. "Every day, Ballas get stronger, and you and I get weaker. You and I get poorer, man!"