Chapter 117: Grove 4 Life

CJ then got a call from Sweet and answered his cellphone.

"'Sup?" CJ answered.

"Yo CJ, you good, bro?" Sweet asked through the cellphone.

"I'm good, bro," CJ replied. "What about you?"

"Aside from my empty clip, I'm straight," Sweet replied. "What's up with B-Dup?"

"Let's just say that B-Dup's drug dealing career has went downhill permanently," CJ responded. "But Big Bear been into rehab months ago and I'm wondering if he got out soon."

"A'ight," Sweet replied. "Well, come back over to my place. I'm having a discussion with the rest of the families."

So CJ hung up the cellphone and stored it in his pocket. He had taken out one traitor and was now on the verge to hunt for the main traitor. Now that Sweet was motivated and no longer in despair, he should be back to his powerful self again.

Meanwhile, CJ kept trying to reach Ryder's number, but his number kept going to voicemail. He was getting worried. Where was his homie? It wasn't like him to disappear all of a sudden.

Without thinking too much about it, CJ decided to return to Grove Street and hopped inside one of the parked vehicles under the Muholland Intersection. The sun had just began setting, and the blazing orange colors bounced off the buildings and streets.

CJ finally made it back to Grove Street and parked in front of Sweet's house. He exited the vehicle and walked up to Sweet's house. He walked through the hallway and searched for Sweet, who he saw sitting on the counter having a discussion with the rest of the Grove Street Families members.

"You gotta love your 'hood like you love your homies!" Sweet announced to his members. "It's always been that way, and ain't nothing ever gonna change, I done seen it all."

He then turned to see CJ enter the kitchen. "Whattup, CJ?" he said.

"Whassup?" CJ greeted back, giving Sweet a handshake. "Yeah... I'm glad to see things back the way they used to be."

"Nah, it ain't like it was," Sweet told him. "But it's gonna be. We still gotta get everybody in the 'hood back together. I was just telling these cats what's important. We gotta let everybody know: Grove is back on the map."

CJ then decided it was time for his brother to see the bigger picture. As much as he wanted to get the families back, he was still above the hood mentality. So he had something to say. "Hold up - don't you think we ought to take it easy?" he asked.

"What?" Sweet muttered in perplexity as he glared at CJ.

"You know," CJ told him. "I got other things in mind - commitments I made."

Sweet then turned to the other gang members. "Can y'all step outside for a minute?" he asked quietly. "I need to talk to my brother."

So the other members of the Grove Street Families got up off their chairs and walked out of the kitchen. Sweet then turned back to CJ. "If you don't get this shit together, what you think this place is going to look like?" Sweet asked his brother. "You always did real good leaving jobs half finished."

CJ then shook his head in disbelief. "That's cold, Sweet," he uttered, struggling to keep his temper.

"Man, we can't take care of this from no bitch-ass rapper's mansion!" Sweet snapped.

CJ's brother was really taking some quixotic methods, and it was time for CJ to give him a reality check. "Look, the world is bigger than this 'hood," CJ tried to convince.

"This is where our lives began and where it's probably gonna end," Sweet declared presumptuously. "And don't forget where you came from, mister uppity ass nigga."