Chapter 36: The Badlands

When CJ woke up, he discovered that his face was covered up with something, for he saw nothing but black.

"You got a bag over your head, boy," he heard Tenpenny say. "How you feel about that?"

"Man, take it off!" CJ pleaded. "Please, man, I can't breathe! Please!"

"Oh, alright," Tenpenny replied, "but only because you said please."

Tenpenny took the bag off CJ's head and the latter realized that he was sitting in the back of the police car.

"You fucking sick mother-fucker!" CJ told the corrupt police officer.

"Intimidate those who intimidate others, Carl," Tenpenny replied dryly. "It's my job. Right, Ed?"

Pulaski just chuckled. CJ look around the car, where he found Ryder sitting adjacent to him.

"Asshole!" Ryder said to Tenpenny under his breath.

CJ then looked through the window, where he saw a lot of trees and grass. There was also the mountain and a few buildings. None of anything around the area looked familiar to him.

"Hey, man, where we at?" CJ asked.

"The middle-of-fucking-nowhere," Tenpenny replied. "Nice, clean air, as opposed to your stoned-out-of-his-brains friend sitting next to you."

"Fuck you, piece of shit eggheaded ass motherfucker!" Ryder shot back.

"Fucking Smoke!" CJ muttered under his breath. That's when he remembered Sweet. "Oh, Sweet!" he shouted. He was wondering if his brother was okay. The wounds he had sustained during the shootout were pretty severe, and CJ was worried that his brother was actually going to bleed to death.

"Sweet is alive," Tenpenny told CJ. "Alive and inside. He's in a prison hospital being treated for gunshot wounds, awaiting trial."

"Yeah, somehow, nobody's caught you two dirtbags yet," Pulaski chimed in.

Tenpenny turned around to face CJ. "Oh yeah, you should be glad, Carl," Tenpenny told him. "Your moron brother's alive, your stoned-off-his-ass homie sitting right next to you is alive, although still fucked up on that wet, your street-trash-soon-to-be-turned-out sister's alive, and she's only sucking one grease-ball's dick. Things are going pretty well for you, Carl. So behave, nigga." He then turned to Ryder. "You too, Sherm-head!" Tenpenny told Ryder. "You certainly don't want to get yourself into any deep shit after what you, Sweet, and the rest of your punk ass homeboys did to our crew last year!"

"Fuck you!" Ryder shouted at the corrupted cop. "If my wrists weren't constricted by these cuffs, I'll blow your bald, ostrich-egghead off!"

"Hey Ryder, man, relax," CJ whispered to his friend, "befo' you get us both capped."

Ryder just didn't say anything else. He just slammed his head angrily against the back seat.

"We want you to do a little favor for us, boys," Pulaski said as he and Tenpenny hopped out the car.

Tenpenny grabbed Ryder while Pulaski grabbed CJ. Each of them unlocked the handcuffs off of each of their wrists after pulling them out of the car.

"I can't believe that nigga Smoke turned on me," CJ muttered as Pulaski removed the cuffs off his wrists.

"Smoke?" Pulaski asked. "Smoke does exactly what he's told. He learned that lesson a long time ago!"

"Homies for life? Street loyalty?" Tenpenny chimed in. "That's all bullshit, Carl. Didn't you learn that when they ran you out of town, just 'cause you let Brian die? Huh?"