Chapter 15: Life's a Beach

As the hours elapsed, CJ was looking over the pier to watch the sunset. He was glad to finally see the sunset since the day he left Los Santos. The sky was a vibrant tint of red, orange, and violet as the sun started to set. The reflection of the rippling water of the ocean was also a glistening view. The pier began to light up. It was a beautiful night in Santa Maria Beach. CJ's memories of his childhood there were just as vivid as the sunset. He pictured himself as a child swimming in the ocean while his younger brother and sister were making sandcastles on the land under the blazing sun that shone in the light blue sky. The flashbacks of the 1970s came back to him.

Upon hearing his stomach growling, CJ decided to get dinner and headed over to Burger Shot by motorbike. As he parked the bike into the parking lot, he hopped off and saw Jeffrey, now nicknamed OG Loc, carrying a mop and bucket around from the back.

"Looking real technical, gangsta!" CJ told him.

"Carl?" OG Loc cried out in surprise. "You ain't run off again, yet?"

"No, gangsta," CJ told him. "I'm here for good."

"Yeah?" OG Loc asked as he pushed the mop and bucket back. "Well, fuck this gig, man. I'm putting together a listening party for my album, but first I need a sound system..."

"Hey, I'm down," CJ told him, "as long as I don't have to go to the party."

"What you talking about, fool?" OG Loc complained. "Guaranteed I start playing, everybody'll come through."

"Being real, OG," CJ told him. "I really ain't into rap no more. I'm more into that hardcore gangster shit!"

"Well that's me, homie, that's me!" OG Loc said. "OG Loc, baby!"

"Yeah, yeah, for sure," CJ replied. "But I only like them if they rhyme real well... Y'know, well... Anyway, what you want me to steal?"

"That's what I'm talking about, love for your homies!" OG Loc cheered. "Now check it, I caught me a real fly sound system cruising through the drive-thru. I think they headed down to the beach for a beach party. Now check this out, I'll roll with you, and on the way, I'll kick a couple of freestyles..."

OG Loc then started freestyling. "It's OG Loc in the place, Y'all want to stop me with a gun in your face, OG! OG!"

"Yeah yeah yeah yeah, man, shut the fuck up!" CJ told him, trying to get him to stop talking. "Maybe I need to do this on my own. I believe in you. Gangster 4 life, homie. 4 life!"

"Yeah - for life, homie..." OG Loc agreed.

OG Loc wanted CJ to steal a sound system from the beach. CJ was reluctant, but did it for his ally. So right after he got something to eat at Burger Shot, CJ hopped onto the motorbike and drove over to Santa Maria Beach.

At the beach, CJ saw that the people there were having a party, complete with a fire and a sound van. "Rump Shaker" by Wreckx-n-Effect was also playing in the background, with women in bikinis even shaking their rumps to the song. The reddish-pink sunset tinted the sky with red, orange, and violet colors as it gradually began to darken, and the colors reflected over the still-water ocean of the beach. It was a beautiful evening, and everybody at the beach was partying hard.

CJ hopped off the bike and walked to a DJ, who was an African-American woman wearing a black 69ers football jersey over baggy black pants and a brown beanie on her head and owned a sound van right nearby.

"Hey, what's crackin'?" the DJ asked CJ, watching him approach her.

"Just hanging out, you know..." CJ told her.

"Well why don't you come out and dance?" the DJ asked.

"Yeah, f'sho!" CJ agreed.

"Let's see what you got," the DJ told him.

So CJ spent the next minutes showing everyone his dance moves. CJ had been taught by Big Smoke to dance, and man, was Smoke a great teacher! CJ had this in the bag!

Kool and the Gang's "Hollywood Swingin'" was playing, and CJ decided to kick his dance moves to show the others at the party. They all were impressed by CJ's dance moves and complimented his skills. It was working! CJ was keeping the others on their toes. He kept the dancing up for two full minutes.

After a while, L7's "Pretend We're Dead" started playing, and the DJ was impressed. "You got some moves," she congratulated CJ. "Wanna come and chat?"

"Yeah, for sure, that sounds nice," CJ said.

"Let me take you into my office," the DJ told him, walking to the van.

But before she could react, CJ hopped into the driver's seat and started to speed away before the DJ even had a chance to get inside the van.

"He's stealing the sounds!" the DJ cried.

CJ paid no mind to the party goers dashing after him as he continued driving away. He drove until he made it on the roads and turned to his right. He drove through Verona Beach and through Commerce until he finally found a garage under the freeway and stored the van inside.

CJ exited the vehicle and the garage as he watched the garage door slowly shut. CJ checked his watch. It was now 8:57 PM, and the sky was getting very close to turning into a pitch black as the lights around the city shone brightly. CJ felt it was time for him to get some shut-eye. So he decided to take the bus back home to sleep back at his house. He had enough fun for the night.