Chapter 50: New Model Army

As CJ walked back outside of his apartment after a few hours, he wondered what was the deal with Berkley. The guy seemed to take his frustration on losing the science fair to Zero in the past very personal. Not even the gangbangers in his hood were that vindictive.

I think I just need to give Z some time to work this out, CJ thought. I already got other shit to deal with.

So CJ decided to take a seat on the bench outside and thought for a moment. He pictured Sweet sitting in a prison cell wondering how he would get out. He pictured Smoke counting his stack of cash and munching on his large order of food. Sweet's imprisonment and Smoke's betrayal was all that was in his mind at the moment, and there was no telling what C.R.A.S.H. was up to this time.

CJ decided to get it out of his mind and remind himself of the positive things that had been happening to him during the moment. He pictured Cesar and Kendl relaxing on the couch in their own apartment building, knowing Cesar would treat CJ's sister well. He pictured Ryder killing many of Smoke's lieutenants and his friend LB helping, knowing that Ryder was the only friend at the moment that CJ had.

After a moment, CJ decided to walk to the gym and do so more exercises. As he entered the gym, he spent his time on the bench press and curling weights. He also did a few push-ups and sit-ups. After thirty minutes of working out, CJ decided it was enough and decided to drink some water from the fountain. He stepped out of the gym and walked down the street.

He then decided to go see Katie and read the address on the white slip she handed to him earlier. As he read the slip, he then drove through the streets and made his way to Juniper Hollow just southeast of the Gant Bridge, where Katie's house was. CJ pulled up on the front and blared the horn, which prompted Katie to exit her home.

"Hi, Carl," Katie greeted as she entered the passenger's seat of the vehicle.

"Hey, pretty lady," CJ greeted back as he backed up onto the road.

"Let's go out to eat," Katie suggested. "There's one just down the corner from here."

As CJ drove through the streets, he turned on the radio, which played the same hip hop beat that played in OG Loc's party just weeks ago, and of course, OG Loc's terrible rapping was heard.

"My name's Locs baby/I ain't broke baby/I will never, ever, choke baby/Never sniffed coke baby/Don't poke baby....."

Katie groaned as she instantly turned the radio off.

"OG Loc?" she asked. "OG Joke is more like it!"

"No kidding," CJ agreed as he finally made it to the diner just below. "I can't believe such a busta like Loc could get a record deal."

"I also heard that he has a manager running things for him," Katie added as CJ parked in front of the building. "Some guy named Melvin."

"Melvin?!" CJ asked. "You mean Big Smoke?!"

"Uh, yeah, that's what he calls himself," Katie answered. "You know him?"

CJ then thought about his closest friend's betrayal and pictured the fat man working for C.R.A.S.H. back under the freeway of Verdant Bluffs. He just couldn't bring himself to tell his possible girlfriend his history with Smoke. "I thought I did," CJ muttered. "Now I'm not sure. Can we just go in already?"

"Uh, sure," Katie said as she and CJ hopped out of the car. "My favorite rapper is Madd Dogg."

"Cool," CJ said. "Madd Dogg's one of the sickest rappers out right now."

"Yeah, he is," Katie replied. "So much better than OG Joke."

CJ ran to the door and held it open for Katie to walk in. Afterwards, the two sat at a table and enjoyed their meal, having a casual conversation.