Chapter 31: Danger Zone

After the party, it was now 10:30 PM, and CJ, who had left the party just five minutes ago, thought about what Ryder had told him before. His stoned friend had assisted him with robbing weapons, and the other Grove Street Families members were now armed with stronger weapons. Not to mention that the house he was staying at right now had limited household material. So CJ decided to rob more houses around the block. He headed over to the apartment buildings in Ganton to use the Boxville that was stashed into the garage and hopped inside. He started the engine, slowly backed out onto the road, and drove off.

The bright white headlights shone up front onto the street CJ was driving on. There were fewer pedestrians walking around the street. Some were even walking their dogs. CJ drove through Willowfield and spotted a brown stone house to his right. As he parked the vehicle in front of the building, he put on his black ski mask, threw his hoodie over his head, and hopped out of the vehicle, armed with a tech nine and his pistol on the left side of his waist.

CJ crept into the open window on the left side and tiptoed across the empty living room. There was a television, a boombox, an armchair, and a clear vase with an abundant amount of money stashed inside.

Jackpot! CJ thought, grinning.

He knew he had to be quiet though. So one by one, he took the television, the boombox, and the vase and stashed them all in one house. Since he felt they would be too small-time, CJ decided to drive around the city to search for more houses to rob. One by one, he robbed material from ten houses in East Beach, Temple, Glen Park, Idlewood, Jefferson, Las Colinas, and Muholland. He robbed headphones, a brand new toaster, jewelry, more money, and even a Super Nintendo, complete with the video game Super Mario Kart. CJ used his stealth to sneak through each of the houses he broke into so no one would catch him robbing material inside, especially the police.

After a while, CJ was feeling tired, and it was now 11:25 PM. So he returned home, took every robbed material out of the Boxville one by one, and stashed them all inside his house. After he was finished, CJ was now tired and headed upstairs to get a goodnight sleep up in the bedroom.

The next day, CJ rode through Ganton to see B-Dup for more tasks to complete. He came across the apartment buildings and put his vehicle in park. He hopped out of the lowrider and ran to the apartment buildings. As he stepped inside, he saw some cockroaches crawling on the walls and spiders building a web on the corner.

I'm surprised B-Dup didn't make Bear sweep up the mess in this hallway, CJ thought.

He went to B-Dup's door and knocked on it loudly.

"Yo B-Dup!" he called. "You in there?!"

CJ waited for several seconds until he saw the door slowly open and B-Dup standing right there.

"Right on time, CJ!" B-Dup said, grinning. "Come on in!"

CJ walked inside as B-Dup opened the door wider. "So what other types of jobs you have for me to do for you, Dup?" CJ asked him.

"A'ight, listen up!" B-Dup explained. "I have just one last job for you to do for me, and I promise you, I'm out of this drug dealing business for good! And I'm gonna be back on the Grove to cap them Balla motherfuckers!"

CJ's face brightened up like a buzzer on the shot clock above the basketball hoop. "No shit?!" he asked, sounding eager.

"Hell yeah!" B-Dup answered. "After this one job, you can kiss this crack epidemic bullshit goodbye!"

"Yo that's great, man!" CJ said. "Great to know that, homie!"

"Yeah," B-Dup told him. "I took a second thought about this crack game and it's fucking up the 'hood, homie! No amount of money is worth spreading this shit all over the 'hood!"