Chapter 9: Drive-By

The next day, CJ woke up and got out of bed. Today was the day to represent his old gang now. It was the '90s now, and he wanted to prove that Grove Street is coming back on top. So he got dressed in his new clothing and darted down the stairs. He ran into the kitchen and decided to have some toast and sausages for breakfast before he left.

After eating, CJ decided to go see Sweet and found him and Ryder in front of Sweet's porch having a conversation.

"I can drive as well as CJ, man, I'm telling you!" Ryder shouted, jerking his arms around. Sweet was laughing at Ryder's attitude, and the latter turned around to see that CJ had caught him by surprise.

"Hey, homie, whassup?!" Ryder said, giving CJ some dap.

"Hey, what you saying about me, fool?" CJ asked Ryder.

"Wassup, man?" Sweet greeted CJ.

"I'm saying that the East Coast made you drive like an idiot, fool!" Ryder told him as the trio started walking down the steps. "Man, you always crashing cars and shit. And for some reason now you back, all it is, is 'CJ drive here, CJ drive there.' Bullshit!"

"Man, why don't you take it easy?" Sweet told Ryder.

Ryder then turned to face CJ. "No disrespect, man, but you can't drive for shit!" he told CJ bluntly. He then started to walk away.

"Thanks, man," CJ muttered sarcastically, stopping Ryder. "No, no, no, say what you really mean."

"You such a good gunman, homie," Sweet told Ryder. "You gotta ride shotgun. Show CJ what's cracking."

Ryder turned to face Sweet. "Hey, you know something – you're right," he agreed. "Yeah, CJ! I changed my mind! You can drive, homie." The stoned gangster turned away smoking his joint.

"He's trippin'," Sweet told CJ.

Ryder hopped into the passenger's seat of Sweet's Greenwood while Big Smoke, who had been waiting for the rest of the members, and Sweet took the backseat. CJ got into the driver's seat and started driving.

"Let's crank up the tunes, nigga," Sweet demanded. He turned up the radio to listen to "The Godfather" by Spoongie Gee.

"Man turn that shit!" Ryder growled, turning off the radio. "That station is whack! Where the hell is Redman or Naughty by Nature? That's the good East Coast shit!"

"How about some Bounce FM?" Big Smoke chimed in.

"You know what, y'all?" CJ announced. "I got the perfect station for drive-bys."

So CJ turned the station to Radio Los Santos to hear Tupac Shakur's song "I Don't Give a Fuck."

"Gyeah!" Ryder said. "Now that's the good shit!"

"Great choice, CJ," Sweet added.

"Yep," Big Smoke said. "Perfect drive-by music!"

So CJ continued driving straight down the road.

"Where we going, homie?" Ryder asked.

"Rollin' Heights Ballas country," Sweet answered.

"Do us a little drive-by, huh," Ryder muttered. "You know somethin', matter of fact, you're our chauffeur for this little gig. C'mon."

"Gee, thanks G," CJ replied facetiously.

"Just don't drive like no fool," Ryder told him.

CJ just continued driving through the streets until he went through Jefferson and came to a stop on the curb. The other three pulled out their tech nines and prepared for the impending drive-by on the Ballas.

"Yeah - Ballas turf," Sweet said. "You dogs ready?"

"Yeah, for sure, I'm ready," CJ answered.

"Carl, just concentrate on the driving and we'll take care of the shooting," Sweet told him.

"Listen to the man, fool!" Ryder added. "And try not to park us up a tree or something."

"Yeah, if the car stops, we're dead meat," Sweet said. "Okay, let's roll on those Ballas."

So CJ drove straight down the street and spotted a group of Ballas members just down the corner. CJ got close enough, and Sweet, Big Smoke, and Ryder pulled out their weapons and shot the Ballas down instantly.

"We iced them, CJ! Let's hunt down some more!" Big Smoke said.

CJ went around the other block and came across another group of Ballas, who the other three shot at during the drive-by. The Ballas members tried shooting back, but were outmatched by the three Grove Street Families members. Soon, all the members were shot dead.

"That was way too easy!" Sweet said. "Let's go blast on some more Balla fools."

CJ then made a left turn on the other side of the street and spotted another group of Ballas hanging by the alleyway. He pulled close enough for Sweet, Big Smoke, and Ryder to shoot every last one of them down one by one.

"What you waiting for, CJ?" Ryder asked as he shot down the remaining Ballas member. "Find us some more Ballas so we can cap 'em."

CJ then drove straight down the alleyway and headed through Glen Park, where he spotted the Ballas hanging at the park just straight ahead.

"There they go, CJ!" Sweet told him, pointing at the Ballas hanging right under the bridge. "Now speed it up so we can blast them Balla Pushers!"

CJ drove straight through the park to get closer, and Sweet, Big Smoke, and Ryder aimed their weapons at the Ballas and pulled the triggers. The bullets fired at the Ballas and hit each and every one of the members, killing them all instantly.

Unfortunately, the drive-by shooting also attracted attention to the police, who was just trailing behind.

"Smash on it, Carl, smash!" Sweet demanded.

CJ didn't say a word and just complied to his brother's demand. He floored the gas pedal and drove out of the park as fast as he could, with the police hot on his trail.

"Move faster before the cops go Russell Chief on our asses!" Ryder shouted angrily.

"Calm yo' ass down, Ryder!" Sweet told him as CJ continued speeding away.

CJ made it through Idlewood and finally made it inside the Paint 'n' Spray. After narrowly losing the police, CJ slowly backed away out of the garage and made it back onto the road.

"Yeah!" Sweet cheered. "Grove is back, man, Grove is back!"

"Yeah for sure," CJ agreed. "They was slippin' man!"

"Man," Ryder uttered sarcastically. "I'm shocked you didn't get us killed, CJ! Let me check myself. Am I dead?"

"Hey, Carl, ignore that motherfucker," Sweet told CJ as the latter drove straight to Ganton Street. "You did good today."

CJ finally arrived in Grove Street, and Ryder was the first to hop out of the car as it stopped to a park.

"You're down with the Grove and the Ballas know it," Sweet reminded CJ. "So watch yourself from now on, CJ."

"Yeah, yeah, f'sho," CJ replied. "You know that. I'll see y'all later."

"Here," Big Smoke said, giving CJ some cash. "Take this, go get yourself some beers, do whatever."

They all hopped out of the car, and CJ decided to head inside the house. He felt that he needed a break from doing drive-bys and decided to spend his free time playing video games.