Chapter 89: Flight School

CJ woke up from his dream. Brian's death had came back and haunted him. He still had remorse for letting his younger brother get killed and trying to shift the blame off of himself. He stared at his watch. it was 1:24 AM. CJ didn't wanted to think about anything that would give him nightmares and drifted back to sleep. He knew that once he would get Sweet out of jail, he would hopefully redeem himself.

CJ woke up at 9:00 AM and felt that he needed to first eat before he decided to take flying lessons. So after getting dressed and walking outside, he hopped onto the Sanchez and rode through the desert.

It took him about ten minutes, but he finally came across Cluckin' Bell at Tierra Roboda. CJ parked his vehicle up front and walked inside the restaurant. He ordered a huge meal and took his food to the table. As CJ sat down to enjoy his meal, he once again thought about Big Smoke and how he ordered that huge meal. It just made him feel even more depressed now that his friend had now turned on him.

Of course, Big Smoke came right back in CJ's mind once he heard his voice on the radio in the background of the restaurant. A news reporter had described the current state of the countryside and even explained that Big Smoke had formed an orphanage back in Los Santos. CJ listened closely when the lady on the radio brought up Big Smoke's name.

"Yes!" CJ heard Big Smoke say over the radio. "Thank you! Thanks you! I'd just like to say this is a great day for the impoverished and disadvantage of Los Santos! And it's a real honor that I am as generous as I am!"

Pfft, generous my ass, CJ thought. You sold me and my family out!

"I remember when I was a little boy, my dear mother would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up!" Smoke continued over the radio. "And I said 'Mom, I want to be a savior'! It's a great opportunity! The Big Smoke Orphanage teaches kids important skills! I was an orphan! I struggled! I saw friends make mistakes and get pulled from the path of righteousness, but now, thanks to the generosity of a great man like me, kids is gonna be saved! Big Smoke, baby! Remember the name!"

CJ didn't bother listening to the rest of the news. He was still shaking his head over how completely nonsensical his former friend was being. If he really cared about funding an orphanage, he wouldn't have sold him and the rest of his family out.

After eating, CJ returned to Verdant Meadows and headed behind the shack to watch the videos. He then came across an Asian man wearing a green pilot suit.

"Who the fuck are you?" CJ asked the man.

"Toreno sent me," the man replied. "I'm your flying instructor. If you're gonna learn how to fly, you're gonna need a professional to train you, because learning to fly airplanes and helicopters is a serious business."

"Whatever, man," CJ murmured. "Just show me the first lesson so I can just get this over with. My brother's counting on me."

"Okay," the instructor told him, turning up the video. "Follow me, Carl Johnson."

The instructor guided CJ outside to the hangar, which included a Rustler inside. The pilot hopped inside and started the engine. He drove the plane onto the opening surface and turned it to face straight.

"Hop in, CJ!" the instructor instructed.

Without a word, CJ just shook his head and hopped inside the driver's seat.

"Now the first thing you need to learn before piloting is that you have to test your brakes," the instructor told CJ.

"Yeah, yeah," CJ muttered.

"Now, do you know how to start the plane?" the instructor asked.

"Not really," CJ murmured. He stared at the controls on the front. They seemed like foreign language to him. He wasn't sure if he was ready for this.