Chapter 35: The Green Sabre

After he and his friends had almost gotten killed during that cop chase last night, CJ woke up wondering what would happen next. His brother had been killed five years ago, he left his gang battling their old rivals, his mother had just been killed, and he then discovers that long time members Little Devil, Big Devil, and Tony (who was named T-Murder) were killed just a year ago. It seemed to CJ that the '90s were not so kind to him so far. It was only the early part of the decade and already, the decade seemed like the worst in his life. He liked the '80s much better.

Without any more thoughts of premonition, CJ got dressed and headed out the door. He headed to Sweet's house and knocked on the front door. After six seconds of waiting, the door swung open.

"Break yo'self, nigga!" Ryder shouted, popping out suddenly with a 9mm pointed at CJ.

"Damn, Ryder!" CJ shouted in a panicking voice. "It's me! Put that shit away before you hurt someone!"

Ryder chuckled a little bit. "Naw, I'm just fucking witcha, homie," he snickered. "I gotta be honest witcha, CJ. I really thought you were gonna shit yo'self! It would've been fucked up if you did"

"Man, fuck you, Ryder," CJ replied. "You could've seriously killed me wit that bullshit."

"Man quit bein' a busta and come on in," Ryder shot back.

He and CJ walked through the hallway.

"Ay where Smoke at?" CJ asked.

Ryder just shrugged. "I tried calling him," he said, "but he ain't answering his phone. Must be dead from a heart attack from eating all that nasty ass fried chicken at Cluckin' Bell."

"Well let's hope that wasn't his breakfast," CJ replied.

The two laughed. They finally made their way into the living room, where they found Sweet and the rest of the Grove Street gang members having a meeting.

"So this is it - this is when we show the Ballas what bangin' is all about," Sweet told his gang vociferously. "Grove Street is king! Say it with me niggaz, Grove Street is KING! Yeah! HOMIES GROVE STREET IS KING!"

"Yo Sweet!" Ryder called. "Look who came to join the crew?"

"Whassup, CJ?" Sweet greeted his brother as he gave him a handshake. "Where you been?"

"Hey, sorry bro," CJ replied. "I got caught up."

"What's this?" Ryder asked sarcastically. "CJ finally plannin' ahead? Now I'm very impressed." CJ just ignored Ryder's sarcastic remark.

"Yeah, you probably was hittin' one o' them Ballas rats," Sweet said. "Yeah I know what you was up to, nigga!" He turned to the four members of the gang.

"Listen up," Sweet told them, "y'all down with CJ, right?" The gang agreed rapidly.

"He's been through a lot, I mean we all been through a lot," Sweet explained. "But CJ's helping us clean up the 'hood. He's taken the fight to the enemy."

"Yeah," CJ added.

"Showing all of us how we used to bang, what it used to mean to be a Grove Street Family," Sweet shouted. "CJ, you're my brother, my runnin' dog. I should have never doubted you."

"It's nothing," CJ said modestly.

"But you're home now, partner - home," Sweet added.

"For sure," CJ replied.

"Jeah," Ryder chimed in sarcastically. "Sweet's right CJ. We should all bow down before you as our king of the street and worship every step you take." He then bowed mockingly.