Chapter 32: Bear Out

CJ abruptly pulled up in front of the apartment buildings. He put the vehicle on park and hopped out of the vehicle. CJ was furious! He was ready to tear B-Dup a new one. So he stormed into the apartment building and banged hard on B-Dup's door.

"Open up, B-Dup!" CJ hollered furiously. "I got a bone to pick with you, motherfucker!"

He stopped when he saw Big Bear opening the door slowly. "CJ," he said. "What's up?"

CJ pushed the door open and searched around the room. "Where's B-Dup, Bear?" he asked. "I'm finna give that asshole a piece of my mind!"

"B-Dup just left," Big Bear told him. "He kept me in here to clean this house while he went away to pick up some food for himself. I'm telling you, CJ, I understand how those slaves back then felt after I became B-Dup's slave, man."

"How this happen to you, Bear?" CJ asked. "How B-Dup get his claws on you and make you his base slave?"

"It all started after Sweet murdered the loan shark last year," Bear told him. "We were all celebrating and hoping that we were someday gonna get rid of that crack that's been fucking up the hood."

"Okay," CJ said. "I'm listening."

"So then B-Dup convinced me to make a little money," Big Bear continued to explain, "and before I knew it, I was selling this shit to the drug addicts that were sniffing around the streets right behind Grove Street's back. At first, I wasn't too worried since we were only selling it to the bums in the streets and not to our own gang. And as the months passed, I guess I should've followed the most important rule of the underworld: Don't get high off your own supply. Next thing I know, I'm as thin as a rail, and B-Dup decided to take advantage of this by making me his base slave."

"Aww man," CJ said. "Sorry you had to deal with that, Bear."

"Yeah," Big Bear replied.

"We gotta get you to rehab, homie!" CJ told him. "You gotta get out of this crack game, man. It's messing with your mind. Time for a little detox."

"Do I have to?" Big Bear asked.

"Have you looked at yourself in the mirror lately?" CJ asked back.

"Most successful diet I ever been on!" Big Bear joked.

CJ chuckled a bit. "But seriously, Bear," he told him, "now ain't the time for jokes. We gotta get you clean, dude."

"Alright, CJ," Big Bear replied. "But first, let's destroy all this shit around the house. Grab a bat and help me get started."

CJ was determined to get back at B-Dup for setting him up earlier. So he and Big Bear each grabbed a bat and started destroying everything in the apartment room. Big Bear smashed a few lamps while CJ cracked some tables and wrecked some chairs. He also smashed a television and VCR on the stand and demolished some picture frames.

CJ went inside the kitchen and ripped apart some cabinets and pulled open some drawers, scattering the kitchen utensils all over the floor. CJ also opened the refrigerator and freezer and took all the food out of each storage. He tossed them all over the floor and walls and smeared them onto the counters while leaving the fridge and freezer doors opened to let all the cool air out. Finally, CJ turned the faucet of the sink on and plugged the hole, causing the sink to gradually flood.

CJ then walked into the kitchen to find the apartment building completely trashed. "Alright, Bear," CJ told Big Bear. "Now just walk out of the room and watch me light this place up."

CJ still had the leftover Molotov cocktails with him and decided to through it inside B-Dup's apartment room. The room gradually caught on fire, and the smoke detector instantly sounded as CJ quickly closed the door behind him.

"Come on, Bear," CJ told Big Bear. "Let's get up outta here!"

Big Bear followed along as CJ ran out through the front door of the apartment building. The two ran to CJ's lowrider and hopped inside. CJ started the engine and drove off.

"Damn, Bear," CJ told Big Bear as he drove through Idlewood. "You really let yourself go, man. You used to be hardcore. What happened?"

"Man, Grove Street Families used to be tight, man," Big Bear answered. "Then Lil' Brian caught it, you ran off. I don't mean to diss you, but you did, man."

"I know," CJ protested, driving through Commerce. "But I'm back now."

"True, homie," Big Bear replied. "That's real speed. Anyway's man, Sweet, he just became a hard man to deal with, y'know? Then we got bad blood with Seville Boulevard Families and they split from the Grove. Then Temple, hell, they went lone-ranger too. Sweet, he did absolutely nothing since last year. Next thing I knew, B-Dup, he's making money, Grove Street, they set trippin'. Streets ain't no place to be when every fool is trying to make a move. So I tried my first blast - see what the fuss is all about, right? Now look at me, a fucking rockstar... ain't jack shit to be proud of, man."

CJ just shook his head. It was all too much. One of Grove Street's most physically powerful members of the gang had become emaciated due to his crack addiction. It probably hit him the worst out of all the members. CJ prayed that Big Bear would finally get back on his feet after he was completely clean from his addiction.

"We gonna put all this behind us, Bear," CJ replied. "Grove is coming back and the OG posse is on the bounce."

CJ finally made it to the rehabilitation center at Market Street and pulled over to the front.

"Go on in, Bear," CJ told him. "You know we here for you, a'ight? I know that Sweet hasn't really done much of anything this year based on what you told me, but he's working to get the families back together again. He's putting in work, and so are the rest of the families."

"That's cool, homie," Big Bear said. "But what you gonna do about B-Dup?"

"I'll deal with that bitch-ass nigga B-Dup later," CJ said. "Right now, I gotta help my brother get the Grove back together, take out them Balla Dope Pushers to show them their time is up. For life, Big Bear."

"You right," Big Bear told him. "For life, CJ."

CJ watched as he hopped out of the vehicle and walked into the building. He clasped his hands together and prayed silently. He wanted to get Big Bear healthy again and back to join the gang again to reinforce the families. He also wanted Sweet to be a better leader and Ryder to quit smoking the PCP, as well as getting C.R.A.S.H. off his back.

Lord, I may not be a saint, he prayed, but I still have standards. My moms and little bro are no longer on this earth because of me. My family is falling apart because of this hood mentality. I just want to get the crack out of the hood and keep our streets away from that stuff. I know I messed up, but I'm back to fix everything I broken. Just please keep the families together. Amen.