Chapter 16: Running Dog

The next morning, CJ was riding his bike around Los Santos and decided to ride through Idlewood to see what Big Smoke was up to. He set his bicycle by the curb and stepped to the front door. Just then, the front door swung open, and Tenpenny and Pulaski both exited the house, scaring him slightly.

"BOO!" Tenpenny shouted in CJ's face. The latter jumped a bit, but wasn't the slightest intimidated by the two corrupt cops.

"Asshole," CJ told the two.

The cops just laughed. "Yo Carl, see you around..." Tenpenny told him as he and Pulaski walked away.

"Fuck they doing over here, anyway?" CJ asked himself. "Punk-ass police."

He watched to see Big Smoke walk outside in the porch. "Those nosey motherfuckers won't leave me alone!" he growled, glaring at the officers who just left. "Think I'm Mr. Big, or something. But I don't tell them shit. For me, it's all about my homeboy, Carl."

He gave CJ a handshake. "Yeah, sure, whatever you say," CJ said, sounding rather suspicious.

"Yo, the gang's real important, CJ," Big Smoke told him. "You know that! You down to represent, baby?"

"Yeah," CJ agreed.

"Look," Big Smoke told him, "my cousin is coming into town from Mexico. I gots to go scoop her up."

"Alright then, c'mon," CJ said as he and Big Smoke stepped off the porch.

The two walked over top Big Smoke's Glendale, with CJ taking the wheel. As he started the engine, he pulled into the street and made a left turn. He then drove straight down and made a right turn.

"What you want me to roll with you for anyway?" CJ asked Big Smoke.

"No reason," Big Smoke responded. "I just wanted to get in the car pool lane."

"Oh yeah?" CJ scoffed.

"Yeah man," Big Smoke told him. "Just cool out, homie, just chill."

"Your cousin's coming here?" CJ asked skeptically. "From Mexico?"

"Yeah, me an' her go way back," Big Smoke replied. "Way back."

"Ah Smoke, you full a shit!" CJ cried out as he reached East Los Santos.

"Don't be prejudiced again in my presence, Carl," Big Smoke told him. "Everybody is my cousin."

CJ made a drive through East Los Santos until he finally slowed down to a quiet neighborhood.

"OK," Big Smoke whispered to CJ as he pointed to the neighborhood residents to the left, "my cousin Mary's in there, sweet, sticky, bud fresh off the plantation."

CJ pulled up in front of two fat Vagos under Big Smoke's signals. "Hey, pull up here, let me do the talking," Big Smoke told CJ.

"Man, I should've known," CJ muttered, coming to a stop. Big Smoke's "cousin" was really a euphemism of weed, which he was picking from two Vagos gangsters.

"Hey," Big Smoke called out to the Vagos. "Excusay mes, Jose, yo soy El Grando Smokio, and I want that grass? Comprende?"

CJ and Big Smoke just laughed. Jose then stepped a little closer to the car.

"Eh, fuck you cabron," he shouted at them.

"What?" CJ said.

"Now that ain't nice," Big Smoke grumbled. He turned to the Vagos. "Coughio, up el weedo, before I blow your brains out all over the patio," he told.

"Chinga a tu madre, pendejo," the other Vago told him. The two then walked away.

CJ was now getting fed up. "Man, let me get the heater on this..." CJ said, searching for his machine gun.

"Fuck this, man," Big Smoke growled silently as he reached in the back seat for the baseball bat. "Fuck this."

Big Smoke made his way out of the car armed with a baseball bat and crept right behind the Vagos.

"Get him, Smoke," CJ cheered silently.

"Yeah, yeah, you go get that shit, nigga..." Big Smoke said.

With all his stout might, Big Smoke swung the bat and smacked one of the Vagos on the back of his head, knocking him out cold. "Damn!" he cried out as he fell to the ground.

"Yeah, motherfucker, Big Smoke!" Big Smoke growled at the unconscious Vago as he kicked him in the stomach. "Remember that name!"

He watched as Jose, the Vago's partner, took off running away

"We gotta stick to him!" Big Smoke told CJ, who instantly hopped out of the car to catch up with Big Smoke.

CJ ran harder to catch up to Jose while Big Smoke stopped to catch his breath after running for thirty seconds, leaving CJ to chase after Jose himself.

"I ain't built for this shit!" Smoke groaned, trying to catch his breath.

Meanwhile, CJ ran up to the Vago and pulled out his pistol. He ran faster to catch up to the Vago and aimed carefully at him, pulling the trigger as he shot and killed the Vago, stopping to catch his breath.

Just then, he heard his cellphone ring. CJ pulled it out of his pocket to answer it.

"Yo," CJ answered.

"Hey, Carl," he heard Big Smoke say over the phone. "You ain't abandon me, have you?"

"Naw," CJ replied. "You just need to run on the treadmill at the gym, fat boy!"

"Hey, I'm big-boned!" Big Smoke protested. "I wasn't built for running!"

"But you were built for dancing, right?" CJ responded.

"That's different," Big Smoke claimed. "I stay at one spot when I dance."

CJ just chuckled. "A'ight, Smoke," he told the fat man. "I'm on my way over there."

So CJ ran back to the neighborhood in Los Santos and came across Big Smoke, who was struggling to catch his breath.

"Seriously, Smoke," CJ told him. "You need to lay off the fast food, man."

"I think I might consider the gym after all," Big Smoke conceded. "I need the stamina to catch and pop some fools."

"Shit, Smoke," CJ told him. "You the brains of the families. Sweet's the leader, and Ryder thinks he's a genius when he's really a hardcore soldier, just like me."

"You right, CJ," Big Smoke replied. "We all one balanced family, baby. We got each other. You my homie for life, Dog!"

He gave CJ a handshake. "For life, Smoke," CJ told him. "For life!"

"You go on ahead, Carl," Big Smoke told him. "I'ma be back at my car driving to my place."

CJ watched as Big Smoke walked away. He scratched his head. What were Tenpenny and Pulaski doing in his house? And why did Smoke needed to pick up weed from the Vagos?

Something was up. But CJ decided not to question too much and walked away to get some lunch at Burger Shot.