Chapter 58: Lure

After dinner, Woozie took a seat on the sofa and stared at CJ.

"As honored as I am to share my home with you," Woozie told CJ, "we should lure these lizards out into the baking sun!"

Ran Fa Li agreed with a grunt.

"We were followed here," Su Xi Mu added. "The Da Nang Boys are watching this apartment. As soon as we leave, they will attempt an assassination."

"Hey, what's the big deal?" CJ chimed in. "Why don't you cruise on out of here, lead them to a quiet place and cap their flat asses - no offense."

"None taken," Woozie responded nonchalantly as Ran Fa Li grunted with laughter.

"We find you funny," Su Xi Mu replied.

"Look," CJ started to say, "as long as they think Mr. Farlie here is in the back, they'll follow me wherever. After a while, you can come out safely - simple."

"Amazing," Woozie chuckled as he slowly hopped off the sofa.

"Your success will be rewarded, Mr. Johnson," Su Xi Mu told CJ as Ran Fa Li grunted with him.

CJ just walked out of the room nodding to himself and made his way back outside, where he saw a Rancher vehicle parked outside.

This must be the decoy, CJ thought. No way those Da Nang Bustas would tell the difference.

He hopped inside and began driving through the road. He made his way through Doherty road and drove on the freeway at Foster Valley. He kept driving straight until he made it all the way to the end on Whetstone road. Fog began permeating through the cool, nocturnal air, and most of it gradually evaporated through the roaring cars driving through it.

As CJ continued to drive, he headed to the bridge and zoomed through Mount Chilad. He finally made his way to the forest of Angel Pine and waited for the Da Nang Boys to arrive.

They'll be here any minute, CJ thought. They won't know what hit 'em.

When the gang finally showed up after ten minutes, they traveled on motorcycles and chased after CJ driving the Rancher as he had K-Rose playing on the radio. CJ continued to drive to lead the gang to him as they fired rapidly at the moving vehicle. They drove through the mountain in the forest and onto the road on Flint County.

When CJ finally made his way on another open road, he drove through a tunnel and through the highway. When he finally made his way on Whetstone road, he spotted a nearby gas station up ahead and drove straight there to park the vehicle in front of the station.

CJ then heard his cellphone ring and pulled it out of his pocket to answer it.

"Eh," CJ answered.

"Mr. Johnson," he heard a Triad answer over the phone, "it's Guppy, are you OK?"

"Yeah," CJ replied dispassionately, "it's nothing, they took the bait like morons! Mr. Ran Fa Li get out alright?"

"Yes," Guppy answered. "Woozie has taken him to safety, thank you."

"Cool. I'll see you later, man," CJ replied, and he hung up.

Just then, one of the Da Nang Boys arrived at the gas station and held his pistol to fire at the vehicle. But then he took a discerning look at it and promptly lowered his pistol.

"It's decoy!" he announced to his gang. "Back to Chinatown!"

The gang rode off, and CJ let out a breath of fresh air, which was as cool as the fog around the night sky. He figured that he should spend more time with Woozie and his crew. He drove back on the road heading back north.

The fog blew past the roaring vehicles on the road. The lights from the cars' headlights shone through the vapors. CJ was already feeling rather relieved and relaxed after his latest mission. So he continued to drive through the Badlands smoothly and finally made his way back on the highway of San Fierro.

He stared at his watch. It was 8:37 PM. He had plenty of time to chill with Woozie and the rest of the Triads at their hangout. So CJ decided to go back to Chinatown. As he entered the streets of San Fierro, the bright lights of the streets began to brighten the roads, with very few cars moving slow on the streets. The traffic lights were also beaming through the dark.

As CJ drove through the city, he finally made his way right back to Chinatown and parked the vehicle in front of the building.

I'm beginning to like working for this guy, CJ thought. Can't wait for my sister and friends to meet him.

So CJ took a deep sigh and hopped out of the vehicle. He walked back inside the betting shop.

Back inside Woozie's apartment, CJ and Woozie were later playing video games, with CJ frantically pressing on the buttons. After ten long minutes of silence, Woozie finally spoke up.

"I need something taken care of," he told CJ.

"What?" CJ asked, rapidly turning his head back as he continued playing. "Hey, man, quit trying to distract me!"

"How are you in the water?" Woozie asked him.

"What you mean?" CJ asked back. "Can I swim?"

"Yeah," Woozie replied. "Can you swim well?"

"No, I can't," CJ answered rapidly as he continued playing. During the game, however, CJ hopped right off his seat and slammed his controller to the ground.

"Shit!" he shouted in frustration. "Man, damn! How you do that?"

Woozie just chuckled as he swerved his head side to side. Then he set his controller down and turned to CJ. He gestured his hand right next to where the armchair across the sofa and CJ took a seat. Woozie hopped out of his seat and began to talk to CJ.

"I have something to tell you, Carl," Woozie told him, "a favor for me if you will."

CJ then stared back and began to listen to Woozie's whole story.