Chapter 78: Night Prowlers

As the hours elapsed, it was now 7:30 PM, and Lisa was standing by the others holding the list.

"Okay," she announced. "Now all we have left on the list are tiles and fabric. Now is there any store out here that sell either of those two?"

"You know what, Lisa?" CJ told her, stepping up to her. "I don't think we need to buy any fabric or tiles at all. Screw wasting money on that."

"Okay?" Lisa replied. "So what are you suggesting, Carl?"

"I know this old guy," CJ told her. "He goes by Truth, and he always has a supply of any type of texture: tiles, fabric, stone, wood, you name it."

"Great idea, Carl," Kendl said. "I'm sure he'll provide us with enough material."

"Yeah," CJ said. "He lives all the way over at Flint County."

"Don't tell me you gonna go all the way over there again," Lisa complained.

"That's where he stay at," CJ replied. "So just wait here until I come back with all the stuff."

CJ was about to head out of the garage door when Lisa suddenly cut him off.

"Hold it, Carl!" she called.

"What is it, Lisa?" CJ asked.

"I'm coming with you!" Lisa answered.

"What?!" CJ asked bewildered.

"Since you keep claiming that you're not getting yourself in trouble returning the material to the garage," Lisa told him, "I'm gonna come with you, to see if you're really telling the truth. Because my intuition is telling me that you're behind something. So I'll be by your side, to make sure you're not in any shit!"

"Come on, Lisa," CJ protested. "Just think about what you might get yourself into during the night."

"Ah, but wasn't it YOU who claimed to not be in any trouble with the law or any of that shit?" Lisa replied.

"I'm not," CJ said. "I just think that– that– that–"

"Not another word, Carl!" Kendl added. "Lisa's coming with you! That's final!"

"Man, she really IS the Moms of the family, holmes," Cesar said.

CJ knew he had no other choice. There was no other way to talk Lisa out of it. So he decided to just let Lisa come along on the ride.

"Alright, Lees," CJ sighed in defeat. "You can roll with me."

He guided Lisa outside.

"Yo take care of her, Carl," Ryder called.

"I'm sure you'll take good care of Lisa, Carl," LB teased.

CJ could feel his face blushing. Aside from the fact that he didn't wanted Lisa to know he and his friends were involved with illicit adventures trying to pick up material, he was still feeling nervous about being around Lisa. He fought his hardest to not develop any deep feelings for Lisa no matter how beautiful he admitted she was.

He slowly enter the vehicle parked outside, with Lisa hopping inside the passenger's seat. CJ started the engine and drove onto the road. He drove straight to Doherty.

"So you say this Truth guy resides over at Flint County?" Lisa asked CJ.

"Yeah," CJ replied. "Just to warn you, he's rather...colorful to say the least."

"I think I get the euphemism, Carl," Lisa answered. "You don't need to speak loosely to describe the guy."

"Well that's good," CJ responded, entering the freeway up ahead. "Maybe that way, I won't have to repeat myself."