Chapter 5 : A Class You Can Play Alone (3).

Warlord has many classes to choose from.

To elaborate, players of the same class could form highly individualistic characters depending on the skill tree and stat distribution.

Even so, there were popular classes and unpopular classes. It was a matter of fact for RPG games.

In Warlord, necromancer was an unpopular class.

The class itself wasn’t bad. They could apply curses, summon undead monsters and golems, and use attack spells like other magicians. They could even modify their own body and increase their combat strength. In a way, it was the ultimate all-around class.

The problem was that it was near impossible to simultaneously acquire high-ranking skills in all these aspects.

Warlord had a skill tree system. To obtain a high-rank skill, one needs a high-rank skill book and its low-rank skill to achieve a certain rank. There were many ways to raise a skill’s rank, but the most common way was to use it repeatedly.

Naturally, to obtain skills of different variety, one had to use lower-rank skills of different variety. If a player took his time doing so as a hobby, it wouldn’t be impossible.

But because players needed to show results quicker than their competitors, most opted for efficiency rather than enjoyment. As such, it made sense that the necromancer class would be unpopular. It was also the reason Starters didn’t give much thought to necromancers. If they became necromancers, they could enjoy the game, but they wouldn’t be able to surpass their competitors.

In addition, necromancers weren’t all that useful in the main content of Warlord – raids. Standard magicians could cover most of what necromancers could do. They had stronger attack spells than necromancers. Curse magic is a type of debuff magic, but it isn’t the only debuff magic.

Most importantly, necromancers could only use a single attribute magic. This penalty was huge for rankers that had to kill higher level monsters. Players could deal more than two times the damage depending on the attribute compatibility, but necromancers didn’t have such advantage.

Summoning magic was even more complicated. First, they required a lot of money. Necromancers summoned using cores that were made using materials dropped from monsters. There were other ways to summon, but cores made summons far more powerful. Unfortunately, these cores were expensive. Top level players typically spent several million wons for a single item, and cores costed about the same amount. It would be fine for one or two summons, but some necromancers controlled close to 100 summons.

This was fine if it was one big investment, but necromancers had to change their cores as they leveled up.

There was another problem. Summons were unappealing. Moving skeletons gave off a totally different feeling in the virtual world than on PC screens. If the summons were ghouls or zombies… it was simply too disgusting. A very small minority might enjoy something like it, but even they wouldn’t admit that it’s a normal hobby.

Even so, there was one player that reached the top 100 rankings as a necromancer.

His username was Himala, and his nickname, Rich Lich.

As one can expect, he was extremely rich in real life.

His real name was Subrata Duta. He was a 33 year old multi-millionaire, who struck rich with a single app. His hobby was gaming, and he was the type of pervert that enjoyed crushing others through money.

Sadly, his money didn’t help him in Warlord. He had no talent for VR games. Even if he equipped himself with the best items, he was just food to PKers who wanted his item. It was no different than a beginner driving a Lamborghini. In fact, because he had good items, he was often PKed by other players.