Chapter 18

Back at home.

Lin Yuzhen carefully rubbed ointment on Sumei, her heart aching for her mother.

This slap must have really hurt!

She couldn’t stop her tears from rolling down.

“Silly girl, I’m fine.”

Sumei wiped the tears off Lin Yuzhen’s face.

If they hadn’t come in time, she might have been arrested by the police, and she wouldn’t have been able to explain herself even if she had ten mouths.

“Jiang Ning, come in. I want to ask you something.”

Sumei walked into her room and Jiang Ning followed her in.

She closed the door. There were only the two of them in the room.

“I’m sorry Mum. This was my fault.”

Jiang Ning stood where he was and apologized solemnly.

Sumei looked up at him.

That card required a minimum of one billion in the bank. She knew Jiang Ning was rich, but she didn’t think he was this rich.

Jiang Ning was no ordinary person. So what motive did he have for coming here?

“Who are you really?” Sumei asked again.

Her expression was extremely serious.

She was more worried about Lin Yuzhen than her own suffering.

Jiang Ning knew he couldn’t hide this any longer. He took out the sweet wrapper he had carefully kept for so many years out from his pocket.

“This is…”

Sumei recognized it in an instant.

When the Lin family just started out, they were a small shop selling sweets.

She had used hand wrapped so many sweets with this wrapper back then!

“Fifteen years ago, I was left on the streets and I wanted to end my life. But a little girl gave me this sweet and she said that if I eat this sweet, my life will become sweeter.”

“That little girl was very kind and saved me. And not just once.”

Jiang Ning took a deep breath. “I don’t want such a kind girl to be hurt, and I just want to protect her.”

Of course Sumei understood what he was trying to say. That kind little girl was Lin Yuzhen.

Jiang Ning had come here and gotten close to Lin Yuzhen to return the favor.

He had promised Sumei before that he would never hurt or ruin Lin Yuzhen.

Given his immense wealth, was there any woman he couldn’t have?

“Mum, I know you still don’t understand me, neither do you trust me fully. But I will work hard so that you can accept me. If I can’t become your son-in-law, I would like to at least be your son.”

Jiang Ning continued seriously. “I’m going to call you Mum forever.”

Earlier at the bank, Jiang Ning had stood up for her with such fury. That was definitely not faked.

He really treated her as his own mother.

Especially when he said, “This is my mother, and you dared to hit her!”

Sumei could still feel her heart trembling.

Nobody had ever protected her like this. Not even Lin Wen.

Sumei started to feel touched.

Jiang Ning really had no ill intentions, and what happened today was just a misunderstanding.

“Mum, I’m really sorry about what happened today, it’s my fault you were bullied,” Jiang Ning apologized again.

“It’s not your fault. I took the wrong card.”

Sumei shook her head. She was very clear about what happened, and didn’t lose her temper.

If she hadn’t taken this card, this whole thing wouldn’t have happened.

“Let’s go out. I won’t tell anybody about what you told me.”

Lin Wen and Lin Yuzhen were still outside and she didn’t want them to worry.

When they walked out, Lin Wen was throwing a fit.

“It’s just a card, did they have to question her like that?”

Lin Wen was furious when he saw that his own wife had suffered. His eyes were both bloodshot, angry with the bank, angry with himself. Angry with himself for being useless and unable to protect his wife.

Even Lin Yuzhen couldn’t understand how a card could cause such a terrible misunderstanding.

She knew there was quite a bit of money in Jiang Ning’s card, but still.

Jiang Ning didn’t know how to explain this either.

His black card was from the global bank union. There were probably only about a hundred of them in the world, of which ten were sent to him.

“Dad, Mum, this is my fault. I apologize to both of you.”

Jiang Ning continued, “Tell you what, I’ll treat everyone to dinner and get Mum over her shock?”

After what happened, Sumei was also in no mood to cook. It was nearly dinner time and everyone was getting hungry.

“It’s too expensive to eat out.”

Sumei shook her head. Now that she knew how rich Jiang Ning was, she didn’t want to spend his money.