Chapter 132

Chapter 132

"If we're not free then we won't go," Lin Yuzhen scoffed.

Just as she said that, the phone rang again. This time it was from Su Mei.

Clearly her eldest aunt didn't trust her to pass on the message and was afraid that her family wouldn't attend the celebration, so she called Su Mei's phone directly.

"I have to take care of your father and I can't get away. Yuzhen, you should go. No matter what, Grandma is an elder and it's only right of us to celebrate her birthday."

Su Mei did have issues with this sister of hers, but she remained filial to her own mother.

Lin Yuzhen didn't know what to say. She opened her mouth to say that she didn't want to go, but Su Mei had already hung up.

Jiang Ning was amused. He had never seen Lin Yuzhen so reluctant before.

"Don't look so grouchy anymore. We'll go over tomorrow and I can take the chance to say hello to your relatives," said Jiang Ning. "Since I'm the son-in-law, I should greet my new relatives too."

"They might not like you very much," replied Lin Yuzhen unkindly.

That didn't bother Jiang Ning. But since his mother-in-law had entrusted this duty to him, he was going to make sure he did it well.

First thing the next morning, Jiang Ning sent Lin Yuzhen to the office to settle a few urgent matters, then went to the mall and bought a present.

Then he went back to pick Lin Yuzhen up and they headed for her grandmother's house in Xiancheng.

"Jiang Ning, if they ask a lot of questions, just answer them simply. If they say anything bad about you, please don't be angry."

Lin Yuzhen looked a little awkwardly at Jiang Ning. "Those relatives of mine might be a bit too curious."

She knew those people only too well.

"Relax, I know what to do."

Meanwhile, at the Su house in Xiancheng. There were lanterns and ribbons everywhere. Those who didn't know anything would have thought it was Lunar New Year. Everything looked very festive.

"Oh goodness me, why are there only three arches? Do you people know how to do things at all? Each family has to buy at least two, and if you can't afford to buy then you have to at least rent one, right? Su Gang! Su Gang! Where's the one from your family? Put it up quickly!"

"Why aren't there enough dishes in the kitchen? I've bought enough for my side, so if there isn't enough then you all have to contribute out of your own pocket!"

"Su Qin, go help Mum to change her clothes. I spent a few thousand dollars to buy her new clothes, so it'll help her to look more energetic."

The whole house was filled with the loud voice of Lin Yuzhen's eldest aunt, Su Hong.

Su Hong was a plump woman who married a man of some standing in the local town office and was a fairly big shot in Xiancheng, so she was always smug and arrogant in front of her own family.

Whenever something happened in the family, she would always say that she would get her husband to tell off whoever it concerned, but she never helped to settle anything before.

Su Hong ordered her younger sister and brother to do all sorts of things, but she was just sitting around and snacking on peanuts. She started calculating who would come today, who would give how much money, and how much she would be left with after deducting the expenses.

"This Su Mei is terrible. What time is it already? She's still not here?"

Su Hong rolled her eyes in annoyance. "I know it's hard for her family, but so what if it's difficult? You mean she's not going to contribute anything for Mum's birthday? That's too heartless of her!"

The man seated across from her had a small beer belly and didn't do anything at all. He just quietly drank his tea and looked very calm. "Even if their family contributed, how much could they contribute?"

Xu Ming snorted disdainfully. "Every additional person that comes means one more person to feed."

This was why these two could get married to one another. The way they talked was also the same.

"Xu Ming, could you come and give me a hand? It's very hard for me to put this couplet up by myself!" a voice came in from the door.

Xu Ming raised his eyes but pretended he didn't hear anything and just changed his position and continued to sit there in peace.

Su Gang was asking Xu Ming, a low ranked governor, to climb some ladder just to put up couplets?

What a joke!

"If you can't do it yourself, just go slow and you'd get it done! Do you know how expensive it is to dry-clean his suit if it gets dirty?" Su Hong scolded right back. "If you can't get such a small thing done, why don't you contribute more money?"