Chapter 138

Chapter 138

Su Yun was stunned and Su Gang was also shocked. He pushed it back, "Oh no no, I haven't even given you two any as your uncle, how could I."

"Uncle, take it," said Lin Yuzhen. "My mum has given instructions for us to give Su Yun a red packet. If you don't take it, then my mum's going to scold us when we get back."

Su Gang smiled a little awkwardly and allowed Su Yun to accept the red packet. He quickly reminded her, "Aren't you going to thank Jiang Ning?"

"Thank you Jiang Ning."

Su Yun said this rather softly, then stuck her tongue out and ran off.

Su Hong and her family were filled with disdain when they saw this. Why such a big fuss over a greeting gift? It wasn't as if it involved a lot of money.

Xu Ming didn't say anything and continued to look like he was an important person. There was a calm and faint smile on his face, as if he looked down on everything.

Su Hong figured there was probably two or three hundred dollars inside that red packet.

Her son had already gotten married and wouldn't receive red packets. Otherwise she would have been cross if her own son had only received two or three hundred dollars.

Just as she was thinking about this, Su Yun suddenly came running out. Her face was all red and nervous as if she had seen something terrifying. Even her breathing was quicker than usual.

"What's wrong?" Su Gang looked at how anxious she looked. "Why did you come back out here? Go help your mum."

"Dad.." Su Yun's voice trembled slightly. Her two hands were holding onto that red packet and her palms were covered in sweat.

She then turned to look at Lin Yuzhen and Jiang Ning. "The red packet...it's too much."

"Ohoho~"

Su Hong burst out laughing.

"I say, Su Yun, you're a high schooler already. If you're already so nervous over seeing a few hundred dollars, what are you going to do when the college exams roll around?" Su Hong couldn't help but shake her head. Her younger brother had only married when he was thirty, and had one daughter. He was a timid man, but how was his daughter equally timid?

She was actually frightened by a few hundred dollars.

"It's not just a few hundred dollars," Su Yun quickly explained. "It's not a few hundred dollars at all!"

"How much is it?" asked Su Qin.

She was quite curious. The red packet was quite large and you could put quite a bit of money inside, but she didn't think anyone would give that much as a greeting gift.

After all, Jiang Ning was just a man who married into the family.

"Er..er."

"A hundred?" Su Hong was immediately displeased. "I say, Jiang Ning, a hundred is really too little. Su Yun may be just a student, but according to our usual custom, at least two hundred.."

"It's $10,000!" Su Yun finally couldn't hold it in and exclaimed how much was inside.

The air froze once more.

Su Hong was cut off right in the middle of her sentence and she nearly choked on her own saliva.

Xu Ming was about to light his cigarette and nearly dropped it. His son was drinking tea and immediately started coughing violently, so much so that tea even sprayed out from his nose.

$10,000 dollars?

A greeting gift of $10,000?

Who in this family ever gave so much?!

When Su Hong's son and daughter-in-law first met Su Yun, they only gave $300.

Jiang Ning continued to sit where he was quietly. $10,000 was nothing to him.

"That's too much!"

Su Gang's face was all red. This was equivalent to two months' of his salary, and it was really too much to be a greeting gift to someone younger.

"It's not a lot," Jiang Ning replied calmly. "Su Yun is going for her college exams soon and she'll need to buy a lot of books and exercises to prepare for it, plus she'll need to make sure that her body is healthy and well nourished.

This is just a small gift from me, when you get into a good university I'll reward you, you can have anything you want."

OOOH...

This generous way of speaking didn't sound like a man who married into his wife's family at all.

Su Mei's family didn't have this much money, but this supposedly homeless son-in-law couldn't possibly have any money at all!

Su Hong exchanged glances with Xu Ming, and their expressions were very conflicted. What was going on?