Hibernation

Sorry for the long wait everyone. I wish I could say my long absence was anything short of a mental breakdown and teenage crisis, but sadly if I said that it would be a lie. I have not gotten any such writing done during this period but now here I am. Now on with the scheduled program...

Ever since Peter's mutation had come to life at the mere age of eleven, there had been an annual dilemma that stumped the whole family. When the leaves started to change colors and the wind began to shift towards the colder side, a conundrum occurred. Peter's heartbeat would start to slow, he'd subtly drift towards the plane of unconsciousness, and his breathing would slow down until it was almost nonexistent.

All of Tony's studies pointed towards the symptoms of hibernation. Peter's body maintained homeostasis almost impossibly the entire time. Usually, his body maintained the state from anywhere to four to five months.

They dreaded the next time his hibernating period would come from the moment he woke again. Tony had gone through many trials and experiments in a desperate attempt to try to delay its progression but it was to no avail. 

So here they were in late September with the day approaching rapidly where they would say goodbye for the season once more. 

Peter had a natural sense for when the time was nearing and it was beginning to settle in his soul like a nauseating weight. His eyes conveyed a thousand words as his eyes pierced into Tony's soul. They'd spent the last few days preparing Peter's room for his long sleep. It had become a yearly tradition to redecorate it right before, but now staring at his new Star Wars poster and lego sets he couldn't find it in himself to even be excited about it.

The familiar feeling was settling in his chest as he slipped in between his sheets in his new Iron Man pajamas. He pulled the blankets up over his chest with clammy hands. His eyes were beginning to drift shut. 

He looked up at his dad with tears in his eyes. "Be here when I wake up?"

"You know I will bud."

And then his body shut down for the winter all at once. 

'Goodnight,' whispered the voice in the back of his head. 'We will be Venom soon.'