Confined

It's interesting how things come to be sometimes. A  beautiful, sunny day can transition into a devastating tsunami. Just like how an ordinary walk down the sidewalk can turn to captivity in an instant. 

Peter Parker was only eleven years old when he had been deemed indubitably dangerous by the government and many of the threatening, or otherwise notorious agencies that were only known by the hushed whispers exchanged in back alleys. 

Thankfully for Peter, he was taken by SHIELD before HYDRA could get their hands on him. There were messages that had been decrypted that led Fury to believe that Peter's mutant abilities were stronger than they knew and HYDRA planned to use them for their own gain. Unfortunately, he was put behind closed doors in an inescapable safehouse soon after. 

After some tests they'd had a doctor run, they found his capabilities to be most impressive. He could throw buses like they were baseballs and could run the mile faster than Captain America himself. 

Years passed as he was raised by a rotation of SHIELD agents while still stuck in the same dull safehouse. He'd attempted to escape more than he cared to share. Five birthdays came and passed and he began to feel increasingly claustrophobic in the space. He had outgrown the bed that had been there when he arrived and he was far too old to still be putting artwork on the fridge as he had when he'd arrived. 

No matter how many times he tried, escape was pointless. He was convinced that everything was destined to be the same for the rest of his meaningless existence until the door opened to reveal a familiar face. 

Peter couldn't process any emotions at the sight of Tony Stark in his doorway. He stood there in his AC/DC shirt like an angel who'd come to save him from his monotonous routine. 

"Umm... Can I help you?" Peter could have facepalmed at his own slow-witted choice of words during this critical moment. 

"So you must be the kid I've heard about? You're taller than I expected you to be. You drink your fair share of milk and SHIELD-mandated protein shakes?" Peter blinked dumbly for a moment. 

"6'5." Tony stared for a moment. 

"You're kiddin' me? Damn, kid, you've got some great genetics."

"Actually it's-- it's the... mutation-- you kn-"

"Breath kid. It's small talk, not an existential crisis for crying out loud." Peter briskly nodded as his cheeks flushed a bright red. "Now let's hit the road." Peter's brain lagged as he tried to process that for a split second.

"WhAt?" He scrambled to follow Tony out the door while shooting skeptical glances at the SHIELD agents. 

Peter couldn't believe his eyes as he saw the throng of people walking down the sidewalks right past him as he stopped in front of the car at the base of the building. They walked as if this wasn't the most exciting day of his life and he'd been in the outside world this whole time. It was weird to think that this entire time he'd been in an indestructible metal box disguised as an ordinary New York apartment. He'd had neighbors who probably thought he was the building hermit that was secretly a vampire all this time(if they'd ever seen him at all that is).

By the time they'd arrived at the tower, Peter was in a state of complete and utter culture shock. He'd seen the world again for the first time in five years and he loved it. What he hadn't expected to see was the entire Avengers team sitting on a sectional couch that arced around the television in a large half-circle. It looked like they were watching some sort of movie that Peter had never seen before. 

Only the woman with the bright red hair that he recognized as Natasha Romanoff turned her head as the two walked in.

"I'd like you all to meet someone." Their heads shot to look at the two of them and their stares caused Peter to almost fold in on himself from the embarrassment. He raised his hand to meekly wave at them with a shaky hand. "This is Fury's boy." Peter's eyebrows furrowed at the title.

"It's nice to meet you, son. We've heard lots about you from him." Peter felt his heart stop at the sound of Captain America's voice actually coming from the familiar man in front of him. He could have squealed like a schoolgirl if he wouldn't have embarrassed himself doing so. 

"He's taller than expected," Sam said flippantly. 

"That's exactly what I said. The kid's a string bean. I don't see how he could actually lift a bus if the story is true." 

He would have responded but Peter's attention was startled away from the conversation by a faint popping sound that made him giddy. 

"YOu haVe A ToAstEr?" Peter ran towards the kitchen giddily with a spring in his step."Nick never let me have a toaster! This is so cool!" He did a 360* turn around the toaster and ogled at it as if it had come straight from one of the Smithsonian museums.

Every person in the room felt their heart melt a little bit at his excitement. They liked this boy and his toaster obsession and bright eyes that seemed to be full of magic.

They all watched with fond eyes as Thor showed him how to get the pop tarts out of the toaster without burning himself. 

He was so focused on what Thor was saying that when a certain red-suited mercenary came rampaging out of the elevator yelling he hit the ceiling (literally). His fingers shakily clutched the ceiling like a security blanket as the strange man went on yelling about some man who'd shot him on the freeway. 

"Wade. You scared Peter half to death with your shenanigans," Natasha interrupted.

"Who's that? I swear to Odin if you guys hired another stripper..."

Please comment and leave feedback.

Also, are we still going for 1 mil by thanksgiving for the new book?