Life Comes in Stages

Peter had come out to the world as Spiderman during his sophomore year of high school. The whole ordeal was entirely unplanned. When you take one evil mastermind, government-level explosives, and a novice superhero you sometimes have to prepare for (not so) little slip-ups. 

Tony hadn't been pleased, to say the least. Even so, it was nothing a press conference, and a few tears couldn't fix. Pepper and Tony had been there every step of the way and Aunt May had been nothing short of an angel. 

Peter felt blessed to have such loyal family members to help him get through the difficult things in life.

Nevertheless, going back to school had been nothing short of a catastrophe. Peter had prepared himself to answer any questions and was armed with a killer new wardrobe to show off to the swarming paparazzi. He had been out of school for several weeks and they made a point not to mention when he would return, but it was all inevitable. The paparazzi could sniff out a celebrity in an instant. 

Happy drove him to school as usual. The second he stepped out of the car he had cameras in his face and people were shouting questions at him from every possible angle, but Happy was experienced in this field and quickly made a path for him to enter the building.

For the first few weeks Peter had to remind himself not to return to his timid mindset again. He had used his invisibility to blend in before, but then he suddenly had stuck out like a sore thumb. 

Despite the original problems the kids at school slowly returned to normal. After some much needed adjustment they had fallen back into their normal routine. The gawking stopped and he didn't get stopped for autographs in the hallway anymore, and the paparazzi had learned to stop waiting at the door for him to arrive. It was almost as if things were back to normal. Well, as normal as things could be for a teenage superhero. 

He occasionally was called out of class for different villain attacks and even helped to stop a couple local attacks during the school day. None of this fazed his classmates anymore.

He had come so far in the last two years. It was so hard to say goodbye to the kids he had spent so long with. And as he stood at the podium in front of his peers as Valedictorian he felt almost as if his heart was painstakingly hollow.

"Thank you all for coming! My name is Peter Parker and I'm this year's class Valedictorian. There's so many things I want to say in this speech, but for all of our sakes I'll keep it short. We've all been through so many things together. Some of us met all the way back in kindergarten and some of us didn't meet until our final year, but every single one of us made a huge impact on one another. This is just one stage of a long life, and its time to say farewell. Most of us will never see one another again. We'll get busy with college, jobs, and maybe you'll even move away. One phone call a day will turn into just every few weeks, and then finally they will stop altogether. If your lucky you'll run into one of us that you recognize. But we'll only be a familiar and distant face in the back of your mind.You'll learn to love and how to handle pain. You'll discover yourself. All of this is ok. It's ok to move on because nothing in life is permanent. So embrace the change. Personally I hope not to see you all again if I'm on duty. Stay out trouble guys. I mean it. Thank you for the years I'll never forget."

Cheers and clapping resonated throughout the football field like a drum. 

Later when one of his classmates was asked what it was like to have Spiderman as a classmate he responded, "Spiderman wasn't my classmate. He was never just Spiderman to me. Being a hero is so much more than a suit. My hero is Peter Parker."

Please comment and leave feedback. 

Requests: