Don't Say Gay

Hot take, and don't come storming me and attacking me at least until you get my side.

But I'm fine with it.

Listen, the name isn't even the right name. From what I found, it's called "Parental Rights In Education" bill. Meaning it's up to THE PARENTS what the kid learns regarding LGBTQ+.

No, parents shouldn't be teaching their kids that we're freaks, either, though.

What it's supposed to do is keep gender and sexuality teachings out of school from kindergarten through 3rd or 4th grade. Not ban kids from having gay parents (though kids should still be allowed to include their families in things that kids with straight parents do), not ban gay teachers. Just don't teach kids about dating and lower-regions.

To me, it's the same as a straight person teaching about their gender and attraction, or a Christian teacher involving Christian studies in a non-Christian class. We don't agree with that, but agree with it for gay people?

Why on earth does any 5 to 10 year old have to learn about any relationships of any kind? The only education like that they should be getting is what not to put near their areas as not to get infections or injuries, and that if anyone - whether they're a friend, family, or stranger - touches any of these specific parts, then that's not okay.
That second part should honestly be mandatory no matter what parents say because there's some sick parents that don't even deserve that title.

And I'm saying this as a queer genderfluid AFAB who's in a situation where I'm scared to come out.

When I was 10, that's what I was taught. If anyone touches me that way, then I tell my parents. I had just started puberty, was figuring out my new things safely. And learning about all this gender stuff and sexuality things honestly would've stressed me out more.

AT LEAST wait until it's time for "the talk". And even then, schools should have better sex ed than "Birth control and condoms matter if you don't want the babies!" It should be for both queer and straight people because, well, teens can be dumb sometimes. That's why we have some thinking pregnancy young is okay, or getting STDs. Both queer and straight teens should be taught about the diseases, and what not to do with what things.

And same things can and should be extended to straight people too. I honestly don't understand why I had to learn about this dude in history class who fulfilled a prophecy of killing his father and having kids with his own mother when I was in junior high.

Teachers shouldn't be talking about their straight relationships, either. It's okay to mention something like "This is a recipe my husband taught me" or "This is an interesting young people book my wife recommended that I think some of you kids will enjoy".

Kids shouldn't be learning non-queer stuff 10 and under either. Why would you teach a kid about cisgender body parts? Isn't teaching kids barely starting puberty about private body parts (outside on how to be safe and that people shouldn't touch there) creepy?

Now, it's fine to bring up Queer people in history, such as Anne Bonney  or Leonardo da Vinci, and others. But it's the fact they're more than just queer icons, it's the fact that they achieved other big things. Anne Bonny was a famous pirate who disguised herself to be seen as an equal to other pirates instead of just a woman. Leonardo da Vinci is the freaking artist of the Mona Lisa, and he's the reason someone was able to create freaking parachutes! WHICH IS SOMETHING WE USE TO THIS VERY DAY!!!

Now as my friend said in the comments before I edited, it will affect kids with queer parents. Which it shouldn't do. Kids with LGBTQ+ parents should still be included. In the same way that kids with a parent of a different skin color who adopted them should be included. Or kids who have a single parent. Schools shouldn't only include kids with a mommy and daddy. Schools need to just stop any form of discrimination in general (except with creeps. Some people who run schools need to lean it's disgusting to keep them there).

Log story short:
Kids 10 and under shouldn't be learning sexual orientation and gender, queer or non, until they're actually old enough to understand the concepts healthily. If you wouldn't teach a kid the straight version of something, why teach them the gay version?